This is horrible!

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm

For the Webers there is the mod of a hole in the vertical plate at the back that is held in place by 2 screws. If there is no hole when you stop the Engine you will get dribbles of Fuel.
All new replacement plates have the hole.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:03 am

TBG wrote:I have two of these in clips under my legs. Anyone have any experience with them? They are on Amazon amongst other places. They light like a firework apparently. D

Fire Safety Stick - Fire Extinguisher A, B, C, F & Electrical - Double 25 Seconds Discharge Time - Light & Compact, No Residue, No Mess, Non-pressurised, 10 year Shelf-life

I can think of nothing more sickening than a fire in an Elan. Thanks for bringing this product to my attention, I have been looking at their promotional videos (see link below), they seem to be a unique product, They also appear to be more compact than conventional extinguishers and will last longer. My only concern would be very windy conditions and where the engine's metal products have had a chance to become hot through delay; but that would be the same for other extinguisher types.
I will be investing when mine is closer to being on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UmkDC8fm3k&t=15s
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:54 am

Those sticks are called "element" in the US:
https://elementfire.com/

I have one mounted down the side of my driver's seat and keep one in my bag of stuff I normally put in the car when going for a drive.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:39 am

Hi,

This is a subject I’m very interested in, specifically for my restoration project.

Has anyone run a remotely triggered and plumbed-in fire system just like those run on race cars? They have the advantage of being close to the most likely sources of flame and can be triggered without delay.

Yes, I know they are not ‘original’, and that IS an issue for me, but I think the bottle, plumbing and nozzle could be quite well hidden if properly thought out. They are not cheap, but consider the alternative!

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:05 am

Ian,

I have a plumbed-in system on the car I race(d). Really aimed at a situation where the driver is trapped or incapacitated. Can be triggered from inside the car, or externally by a Marshall. Bottles are big and heavy, mine is mounted in the passenger footwell. Nozzles are mounted to point over likely areas of combustion, which I guess is one reason the bottles are quite big. The system is ‘dumb’ and will squirt over areas that aren’t on fire as well as those that are.
I don’t think it is very practical for a road car. If you assume you can get out of the car and tackle the fire yourself, I would have thought a decent size handheld extinguisher is better.

Make sure the extinguisher is well mounted, or it can become a projectile in a crash. I used to stage rally when young, and I recall a driver being killed by an extinguisher that broke loose in a crash.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:25 pm

I think there may be more than one of this type but it seems ideal for under carb location.
https://www.fireextinguishersale.com/sh ... ts-yachts/
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Even worse (possibly, depending on your perspective) when the engine is behind you and don't see hear or smell before its too late :D

After1.jpg and
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 pm

Craven wrote:I think there may be more than one of this type but it seems ideal for under carb location.
https://www.fireextinguishersale.com/sh ... ts-yachts/

Intresting. You wouldn't need to open the bonnet so would erradicate the problem of the medium blowing away in the wind. Not useable for fires in other areas, dash area for example but a conventional extinguisher could be used there.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:03 pm

Barney, worth reading the ad,
‘The extinguishing agent discharges as a liquid, disperses in the form of a gas and leaves no residue after extinguishing. There are no clean-up costs. The agent does not conduct electricity, corrode or cause thermal shock damage’.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:04 pm

I have just had a scan over the posts for this topic and I don't think anyone has mentioned the accelerator pump diaphragms on Dellorto's. These are on the underside of the carbs, very prone to splitting and leaking petrol over the distributor and starter motor. :(

Consequently if you have Dellorto's fitted (I think they were standard on later Elans) check on a regular basis!
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:33 pm

mbell wrote:Those sticks are called "element" in the US:
https://elementfire.com/

I have one mounted down the side of my driver's seat and keep one in my bag of stuff I normally put in the car when going for a drive.

Does anyone know who supplies this in the UK?

Amazon sell a product by Fire Safety Stick that looks similar, I wonder if it’s the same product?

Thanks
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:31 pm

This mine and it comes with a natty clip to clip them in place. D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Extinguis ... V6Q2&psc=1
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:41 pm

If you are a member, Club Lotus sell them with a discount.

I keep mine in the glovebox.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:13 am

Thanks guys

I will grab my Club Lotus mag.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:49 pm

I had a look at the 'Fire Safety Stick'. Which frankly I thought looked a bit dubious. It's been a few years since I did a Chemistry 'A' level, but to my untrained eye, the explanation of how it works on their website seems to be nonsense. Interestingly, Potassium Nitrate, (apparently one of the main components of the 'Fire Safety Stick') is the oxidizer used in Black Powder. I would be interested if anyone one here has the required knowledge to decode this:

From the Fire Safety Stick website.

"This process allows the stick to extinguish all types of fires through saturation, while its slow bio-degradation in the environment, further prevents the likelihood of subsequent fires.

The extinguishing process involves two different reactions: one is physical and the other, chemical. The physical reaction relates to potassium ions (or Free Radicals) tendency to oxidise rapidly in air. When in contact with air, alkaline salts consume great quantities of oxygen, thus depriving fires of oxygen. Then the chemical reaction is created through the stable link between potassium particles and the fire’s combustion particles.

Through the two reactions, a quick oxidation process takes place, immediately transforming the jet from a solid state into a gaseous state freeing the potassium particles. These atoms are able to intercept and interrupt any other free particles produced by the fire’s natural chain reaction combustion process.

Potassium has strong inhibitor qualities due to its weak ionization energies. The extinguishing agent being used is composed of Potassium Nitrate, organic oxidizer, and plasticizer resin.

When the Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) reacts (inside the body of the extinguisher) it breaks down and the aerosol that is formed is made up primarily of free radicals of Potassium K+, of Nitrogen N (an inert gas).

The aerosol that comes out of the unit reacts with the fire. Potassium radicals (K+) capture the Oxygen of the combustion thereby extinguishing it.

At the end of the extinguishing process the following is discharged to the atmosphere:

As a solid: particles of Potassium (that have reacted with the Oxygen of the fire) having a size between 3-4 microns. These particles are invisible at sight and heavier than air. They disperse in the atmosphere and tend to deposit on the ground in no appreciable amounts.

As a gas: As Nitrogen; an inert gas already present in the air we breathe at more or less 78%.

As water vapour (and lastly) extremely minimal toxic by-products that are a result of the combustion process. (This amount is so slight, it does not conductive to electricity."
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: