Lotus Elan

Restoration of a '71 Sprint

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:21 am

Greg,

Thanks. I had looked at those, probably a bit over engineered for the Elan, but the principle is what I had in mind. I am a bit concerned they put a twisting moment on the lift's arms, but my lift is rated for 3000kg, and with the Elan at around 750kg, I probably have capacity to spare.

Here is the link to the manufacturer:

https://mohawklifts.com/automotive-lifts/specialty-items/tire-engaging-adaptors/

I have CVs to replace the donuts on the Sprint, and plan to use poly bushes in the suspension arms, so there shouldn't be any 'mechanical' damage by supporting the car with the wheels at full droop for an extended period. I am less sure that the 50 year old glass fibre won't creep about - I could imagine finding that the doors won't open after I lower it, so I am still keen to support it on the tyres when restored.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (to be restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:45 am

Andy,

My 2 post Twin Busch lift is rated at 4200T. The elan never had any impact of my wedge anchor bolts because it really is not stressing these lifts much. It was my Freelander 2 that backed off two of my anchor bolts slightly.

I have posted before on poly bushing my car. I don't think this exercise is helped by the poly bushes on the market that are commonly used on older Lotus's. The first two manufacturers I tried did not fit my front wishbones which are original to the car.

The third set I used was from Super Pro, I have run Super Pro bushes on my two older 911's for some years. They are probably a market leader and they have a technical capability in terms of bush design. I think the material is better and they fitted properly. Note on the front you will need to put large spacer washers on the inside of the wishbones to ensure the bushes don't migrate/move. This means that you will need spacers at the outer ends as well (top ball joint, damper & trunnion).

Roland

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:38 am

Roland wrote:Andy,
My 2 post Twin Busch lift is rated at 4200T. The elan never had any impact of my wedge anchor bolts because it really is not stressing these lifts much. It was my Freelander 2 that backed off two of my anchor bolts slightly.

I have posted before on poly bushing my car. I don't think this exercise is helped by the poly bushes on the market that are commonly used on older Lotus's. The first two manufacturers I tried did not fit my front wishbones which are original to the car.

The third set I used was from Super Pro, I have run Super Pro bushes on my two older 911's for some years. They are probably a market leader and they have a technical capability in terms of bush design. I think the material is better and they fitted properly. Note on the front you will need to put large spacer washers on the inside of the wishbones to ensure the bushes don't migrate/move. This means that you will need spacers at the outer ends as well (top ball joint, damper & trunnion).
Roland

Roland,

Thanks. Feedback like this is invaluable.

Andy
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:57 am

I'm planning a road trip 'up north. I haven't been doing a great job of updating this thread, and have been active on a few Lotus related projects. I will try to get the thread up to date.

I have had:

- the front and rear calipers rebuilt by Classicar Automotive, who did a great job. I had planned to buy a plating kit, and do everything myself, but after the hassle of rebuilding the calipers for my S3 racer I thought I would give the professionals a try. I will post pictures later.

- the seats blasted, powder coated and re-trimmed by Frank at Option 1.

- Stainless 'ladder frames' made by Spyder to replace my rotted frames (not a job I am looking forward to).

I need to travel north of London to Bromsgrove and to Peterborough to pick up the seats and ladder frames. I thought I would stop by Longstone and get tyres fitted to the wheels I bought a few years ago from Sue.

While I am at it, I have thought of going via Sue's on the way home to pick up larger parts where shipping is a problem. I had thought that picking up a dashboard, carpet set and hood would make sense. I haven't stripped the car yet, and I am sure I will have a laundry list of parts to obtain when I do, but are there any other obvious parts that I should try to get while I am out?

Thanks,

Andy.
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: