Repro wheels question.

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:41 pm

I recently purchased a set of four wheels in excellent condition.
However, instead of being riveted they had been welded.
Does this mean they are reproductions?
Or strange lotus ones?
Or otherwise?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ajwheels » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:18 pm

I have always understood that the original wheels were rivited......the reproduction ones that I have are welded....
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:26 pm

Cheers.
Do you know who made them!
Not that it matters much, they look good quality, I would just like to know!
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:07 pm

The original wheels were produced by Rubery Owen and were riveted. They were stamped with RO on the rim on the inside.

Apparently, Rubery Owen refused to make the original design of Lotus wheel as they regarded it as too thin and unsafe. I have a number of the RO riveted wheels, and they they are all out of true, so perhaps RO have a point.

I was fortunate enough to buy some wheels from Sue Millar when she last had a batch built. They are welded and seem far better made than the originals.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm

The important point about the Sue Miller wheels is that the centre pressing was made from sheet steel about 1 mm thicker than the originals thereby solving the weakness problem with the Lotus design.
Sue paid for the new tooling for the repro` wheels and all the recent new wheels came from her despite what the dealers say. Sue is the only person anywhere who has the tooling for the centre pressing.
As yet she has not been persuaded to order another batch, perhaps if enough of us try to order some she will resent and have some more made. I know It is a considerable amount of effort, investment and work for her.
I have two and would buy another two if they existed.
Eric in Burnley
A believer in and supporter of Sue Miller
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 am

Good to know.
Many thanks all
Ed
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm

ericbushby wrote:The important point about the Sue Miller wheels is that the centre pressing was made from sheet steel about 1 mm thicker than the originals thereby solving the weakness problem with the Lotus design.
Sue paid for the new tooling for the repro` wheels and all the recent new wheels came from her despite what the dealers say. Sue is the only person anywhere who has the tooling for the centre pressing.
As yet she has not been persuaded to order another batch, perhaps if enough of us try to order some she will resent and have some more made. I know It is a considerable amount of effort, investment and work for her.
I have two and would buy another two if they existed.
Eric in Burnley
A believer in and supporter of Sue Miller

Sorry to jump on this but I need 4x elan wheels and would jump at the chance of ordering from Sue - put me on the list if anyone else needs some from Sue too.
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon May 02, 2022 7:37 am

Good morning Pabbage.
Your interest needs to be expressed to Sue herself. I think she knows that I want two wheels.
She will need to have a batch of a hundred made and my requirements will not make that happen.
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Mon May 02, 2022 7:39 am

I know - I’ve asked a couple of times also.
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon May 02, 2022 12:40 pm

Having put Minilites on my 2 Plus 2Ss, I have two sets of 5½ J x 13 steel wheels which I hope to put on eBay soon. Open to reasonable offers.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mike McHugh » Tue May 03, 2022 6:48 am

Andy8421 wrote:The original wheels were produced by Rubery Owen and were riveted. They were stamped with RO on the rim on the inside.

Apparently, Rubery Owen refused to make the original design of Lotus wheel as they regarded it as too thin and unsafe. I have a number of the RO riveted wheels, and they they are all out of true, so perhaps RO have a point.

I was fortunate enough to buy some wheels from Sue Millar when she last had a batch built. They are welded and seem far better made than the originals.

I have been examining my “new” 1965 elan, the wheels (KO) appear new, and are welded. All are true and look to be original, well made….then I pulled out the spare, riveted wheel. It is out of true, not damaged. My car was restored years ago, and might have been vintage raced….CV joints, coil overs, Spyder chassis, probably had mini lites, thus needing new steel wheels for original street look.
Thus, I concur with the opinion about Sue’s wheels.
Mike McHugh
New-tral

Total Online: