1972 Elan Sprint - engine removal

PostPost by: DavidMB » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:25 am

Hello, I'm sure this topic has been covered numerous times, so advice from someone who has done this before would be welcome, to save me trawling through thousands of earlier posts. Although owning my Sprint for 46 years, have always left engine removal to a garage, though have managed to handle all other issues OK.
My question relates to access to the 14mm bolts on the bell housing to engine. What tools are needed to as none of my extensive collection will do the job (or am I missing something here)?The Lotus workshop manual has a sense of humour and just says "Fit a sling and support the engine on suitable tackle (done). Unscrew the lower clutch housing bolts and remove the cover (done). Unscrew the clutch housing to engine bolts (*******!). Disconnect the engine mountings.....Suitably support the gearbox. Pull the engine forward of the mainshaft of the gearbox and lift up and out from the engine compartment."
If only it was that simple!
David B, North Wales.
DavidMB
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 pm

DavidMB wrote:My question relates to access to the 14mm bolts on the bell housing to engine. What tools are needed to as none of my extensive collection will do the job (or am I missing something here)?

One thing for sure... the bolts aren't 14mm All the fasteners on the elan (apart from those on the Weber Carbs) are imperial.

Regular spanners & lots of patience are required... removing the rear carburetor makes access easier & you should probably remove both anyway to avoid damage when lifting the engine out.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:42 pm

Don't just remove rear Carb, always remove both Carbs with backing plate.
Then you can access Bellhousing bolts + Fuel line + Engine Mount.
Have fun
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DavidMB » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that all bits and pieces and engine connections have been disconnected, including the carbs and exhaust manifolds. I can see all the bolts to be removed, so I'll just have to be patient, I guess. I'm also aware, after 46 years of ownership, that nuts and bolts are Imperial!
Per ardua ad engine removal....
DavidMB
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:29 pm

Yes,
My Granfather was in the Royal Flying Corps.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:01 am

Is there anything that would have the gearbox come out now as well? Easy to do with both out of course...
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:21 am

The bolts into the bell housing from the front of the car generally need a couple of long extensions and a flex joint on a socket. The two that go into the block from the back need a ring or open ended spanner and potentially dropping the nose of the engine a little to more easily get at them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: