Lotus Elan

4-1/2" x 13" Bolt-on Alloys

PostPost by: fjrtel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi gang,

You were all so incredibly helpful when I needed info on my brake lines, so here's hoping someone has an answer to this one...

My early S2 (26/4193 - S1 tail lights, tho') has 4 bolt steel wheels. The previous owner raced it and used it as his daily driver on atrocious Australian roads for a lot of years. All the wheels (I have 6) are damaged, but I've chosen the best 5 and am painting them at the moment. With new hubcaps, they should look good, especially with the new Michelin XAS FF 145x13 tyres I've got for them. However...

I'd really like a set of period-looking alloys, preferably the 4 spoke Revolution-type (but Minilites will do at a pinch). But I can't find any at 4-1/2" wide - they are all 5" or more. Now, I really want to use the 145 tyres (coz I have them!) and I am worried that I will have clearance issues with anything wider than 4-1/2".

Can anyone help with a source of the alloys, and/or confirm my fears about clearance?

Thanks once again!

Tel
fjrtel
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Location: Australia

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 am

Hi there give me a call on +61 412 975 932
I fitted 5” minilights to S1. I went through a number of wheels to find right offset.
Cheers
V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 824
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPost by: geni » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:50 am

je possède des minilites mais suis en France si cela vous intéresse !
geni
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 206
Joined: 30 Dec 2014
Location: FRANCE

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:48 pm

bonjour Geni,
c'est fixation papillon ou 4 écrous.
Et le prix svp.
merci amicalement
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2844
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: geni » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:17 am

bonjour Alan ,
Se sont bien 4 minilites a 4 trous de fixation ,étaient sur une Elan .
Sont sablées donc / visible sans trace de chocs ou de déformation
Elles sont marquées : Minilite England 6 JK13 CH 20L
Je les cède a 600€ vu leurs état
Restant a votre écoute
geni
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 206
Joined: 30 Dec 2014
Location: FRANCE

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 am

Bonjour Geni,
dommage j'ai une Elan Sprint donc fixation Ecrous Papillons.
Bon chance pour le ventre.
Amicalement
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2844
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 am

I can see why you would want the Revolution over the Minilite. It's a personal thing, but I too prefer them.
I have 5 spoke Revolutions on my S4
I would contact Revolution and tell them what you need as they have the tooling and can pretty much do as you wish.
They may only do a 5" though, but the 145 XAS is fine with a 5" according to Longstone:
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michel ... as-ff.html
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: TBG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 am

Are those Michelin tyres truly £180 - if so you lot are much richer than I !! I have Nokian I Line that grip like muck on a blanket, (tried out all over the Alps), are comfortable and cost £50 each!! YeeHaaa, D

PS - and try as I might I cannot wear them out.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 586
Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Location: Somerset, England

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm

American Racing made some 4-1/2 wide wheels, sometimes in magnesium and sometimes in aluminum. They are often found in 8-spoke called "Silverstone", but I believe they were also made in 4 spoke "Libra" The 8 spoke design have the lug nuts spaced between the spokes and the spokes are then cut into to make the mounting surface for the tube nuts. Sometimes they also had oversized threads in the centers so fake knock-on caps could be screwed onto them. Those K-O s are even more rare. I have a pair of the aluminum 4-1/2 w/ the threads for the fake K-O caps and I will probably never find another pair to make a full set.

Mike Ostrov in the San Fransisco bay area had a set for sale recently and they aren't cheap. He may still have them.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 989
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Location: Ohio, USA

PostPost by: fjrtel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 pm

TBG wrote:Are those Michelin tyres truly £180 - if so you lot are much richer than I !! I have Nokian I Line that grip like muck on a blanket, (tried out all over the Alps), are comfortable and cost £50 each!! YeeHaaa, D

PS - and try as I might I cannot wear them out.


Mate, these are $255AUD, about 125 quid, down here in Oz. I saw that price in the UK classic mags, but can't understand why they're cheaper here!
fjrtel
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Location: Australia

PostPost by: fjrtel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm

Elan45 wrote:American Racing made some 4-1/2 wide wheels, sometimes in magnesium and sometimes in aluminum. They are often found in 8-spoke called "Silverstone", but I believe they were also made in 4 spoke "Libra" The 8 spoke design have the lug nuts spaced between the spokes and the spokes are then cut into to make the mounting surface for the tube nuts. Sometimes they also had oversized threads in the centers so fake knock-on caps could be screwed onto them. Those K-O s are even more rare. I have a pair of the aluminum 4-1/2 w/ the threads for the fake K-O caps and I will probably never find another pair to make a full set.

Mike Ostrov in the San Fransisco bay area had a set for sale recently and they aren't cheap. He may still have them.

Roger

Many thanks Roger! I'll do some investigating.
fjrtel
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Location: Australia

PostPost by: fjrtel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm

vstibbard wrote:Hi there give me a call on +61 412 975 932
I fitted 5” minilights to S1. I went through a number of wheels to find right offset.
Cheers
V

Terrific...many thanks! Will call you later today if OK.
fjrtel
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Location: Australia

PostPost by: fjrtel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:03 pm

661 wrote:I can see why you would want the Revolution over the Minilite. It's a personal thing, but I too prefer them.
I have 5 spoke Revolutions on my S4
I would contact Revolution and tell them what you need as they have the tooling and can pretty much do as you wish.
They may only do a 5" though, but the 145 XAS is fine with a 5" according to Longstone:
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michel ... as-ff.html


Many thanks! I will contact Revolution and see what they can do for me. I think the guards on the S4 are a little wider than the early S1 and S2's, so I will definitely need to be careful of the offset.
fjrtel
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Location: Australia

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests