How to find a "Lost" Elan?

PostPost by: robin.dorset » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:11 am

Looking at the log book I think Peter was the owner. That seems familiar.

He must have moved from Christchurch to Boscombe and not bothered to tell the DVLA.

The house in Boscombe was like a shared house with people just renting rooms there. Not the sort of
place you'd expect to find a Lotus Elan these days!

before it was sold, it was moved to a farm in Throop/Bournemouth and was being stored in a barn there.
I did go and have another looks at it then but it just looked like it would cost a small fortune to
restore it.
robin.dorset
New-tral

PostPost by: robin.dorset » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:34 am

And it has "Richard Morgan" solicitor on behalf of....stamped on it.
robin.dorset
New-tral

PostPost by: robin.dorset » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Jens,

Do you have some recent photos of this car?

Thanks,
Robin
robin.dorset
New-tral

PostPost by: JPMS4 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:46 pm

Robin,
the seller was James Castle Classic Cars....as I see now in the registration it seems to be the seller in 1977 too....

The car was a very original wreck, had not run for a long time, you know how long!

I startet the restauration 2014, finished this summer, tried to preserve as much original parts as possible...nonetheless the colour changed to wedgewoodblue.

Jens
IMG_3564.jpg and

IMG_3051.JPG and

DSCI0165.JPG and

DSCI0196.JPG and
JPMS4
New-tral

PostPost by: robin.dorset » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Jens.

Great job. nice colour choice too I reckon.

I've got to say, it's nice to know that this car got saved and loved.

Well done.

Robin
robin.dorset
New-tral

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Jens,

Can you share some information on the lift you are using? It looks very low profile with custom pieces to suit the elan?

Thanks,
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:58 pm

Jens,

Wow, you have done a a truly superb job in getting it back to such a high standard.

After 7 years hard labour, the car is a real credit to you.

Were you able to save the chassis?

Regards
Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: robin.dorset » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Funny that I was thinking of this car at about the same time you finished her restoration.

Also that in 52 years this car was not in use for more than 40 years.

I wonder why someone in the late 1980s or early 1990s did not take on this project?

Anyway, good to know it's on the road again.

I did see one restored on "Wheeler Dealers" on TV and they bought some very nice high tech rear axle
half shafts.

I'm no expert but is everyone fitting these to elans these days?

Oh well, nice end to the story. thanks,
robin.dorset
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:30 am

robin.dorset wrote:
I did see one restored on "Wheeler Dealers" on TV and they bought some very nice high tech rear axle
half shafts.

I'm no expert but is everyone fitting these to elans these days?

Oh well, nice end to the story. thanks,

Constant Velocity Half-shafts: you will find lots of discussion on those on this site.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: joemalone » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:14 pm

my name is joe malone-i used to own jackie olivers yellow 26r for about 2 years back around 1975 or so-i bought it from bernie dennison who had it brought over from england as a rolling chassis-we both auto crossed the car-i sold it to a guy named tom dotter around 1975-ive always wondered whatever happened to the car-anybody know of its where [email protected]
joemalone
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:33 am

I presume you refer to 26-R-17. Jackie also bought a S2 26R, but that was red.

Tony Vaccario, who posts on here, reported in 2019: 'I met a guy named Harold O'Day. He bought and drove a real 26R back ( I think it was number 14 as I recall) from Lotus East on the NYS Thruway to Buffalo NY. The troopers stopped him because his son who was the passenger kept looking behind. Trooper did not realize it was a right hand drive. It was an ex Jackie Oliver car. I helped Harold with that car all the way through college till about 74. He set it up for SCCA racing. I remember distinctly in the car ars over teacups working the electrics under the dash. Harold walked by me and the car and I could see the shadow him through the side of the door. Door was that thin. He gave me the hard top and side windows and dash for my car which was an Elan 66 S2. Later in 1980 he called me and said he wanted to sell it and offered it to me as I was the only one that knew the car as well as he did. $5000. I did not have $100 to my name. One of the major regrets of my life. Last I heard the car was back with Jackie Oliver.'

Others on here (Dave Hughes?) may know more.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: joemalone » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:51 am

thanks for answering my reply-i sorta remember my car was titled as a lotus elan gt-i believe #7-it held track records of some sort at several tracks in england-i was told that jackie stewart drove it on non formula 1 weekends-it was yellow when first purchased and my friend painted it red-i drove it daily in my last 2 years at college-thanks again for the informative history-joe malone
joemalone
New-tral

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:09 pm

One thing not mentioned here it seems, is hiring a lawyer.
I am on the hunt for my dear Fathers Élan, but I would need a home address so the lawyers can search.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elated » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:35 pm

A lawyer may access current registered keeper details but only for closely circumscribed reasons eg in relation to a car involve in a collision or responsible for a civil claim. It is neither permissible nor possible to trawl the keeper history of a specific car. If it was I would have done it!
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: joemalone » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:57 pm

in a previous post i referred to jackie oliver as jackie stewart in error-at 73 yrs old,i im allowed these sort of errors-jm
joemalone
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: