Elan Front Bumper Strip

PostPost by: Dino246GTS# » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Hi there
Looking for some advice or tips on best way to attach the front Strip with or without the fitting of
2 small C/S self tappers at each end.

I imagine the most secure method is the the one that Sue Miller recommends by using Cataloy
and masking off the bodywork.

Although I have just had my car re-sprayed and don't envisage having to remove it the method does
seem a bit permanent.

So I have read about using Silicon Sealant and 3M Double Sided Tape. I have bought some of both although
the Silicon is a general purpose one with the slowest skinning time i could find.
Have done some experiments on lacquered plastic surfaces and have noticed that as expected the
Strip because it is some sort of Nylon is the weak point for adhesion when using the Silicon.

Just wondered what other owners have done and also what is best Silicon Adhesive to use. Is the product they call Sticks Like S__t any good. The Tape sticks well to the painted surface but not the Nylon of the Strip.
Many Thanks
Dino246GTS#
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:51 am

a lot depends on your specific body/bumper touching points. while test fitting, i had to trim the inside strip in some places so as not to push the whole moulding away from the bumper/body slit.
i used a caulk adhesive, but still used the screws at the ends.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:37 am

I heated the strip using a hair drier to shape it to the profile of the body before fixing. Tape it in the centre then work outwards to the ends heating a few inches at a time and taping as you go, allow it to cool and it retains the shape.
I didn't like the idea of using self tappers through the ends so I left it long, trimmed off the "leg" from the back then used heat again to wrap the end around the lip of the wheel arch. Can't be 100% sure now but I think I used just clear silicone to secure it.

Front bumper trim 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:42 am

DSCF0667.JPG and
Hi Dino,
I can`t remember which adhesive i used but it was a silicone something.
For the ends I cut the centre web off the strip and bent it warm round the wheel arch and inside a short distance letting it lie how it naturally went and fixed it with a self tapper into a very thick area of fibreglass where the inner wing meets the arch.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:28 am

Wilkins used to nail the tail to the body with long pins.

I've had a strip hanging up and waiting for 30 years and it is curling the wrong way. It didn't soften much in hot water so if I ever get round to it I'll have to give it the hot-air treatment.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: