Is it possible to have a relaxed drive in a Elan?

PostPost by: David1953 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:21 am

Just back from 2400miles of Europe, far too much on motorways at 130km/hr. But fun through the alps and on French small lanes.
With the 3.55 diff 80mph is 4500rpm, which does not appear to bother the engine, and cannot be heard over the wind noise.
Anyone any thought on reducing the cabin pressure to keep the window frame tight to the seal on a airflow coupe?
David
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:47 pm

David:

Interesting about the wind noise, but it is quite loud in my 67 FHC also at speeds over 70 mph. Mine is also an airflow, and am not sure how that factors into the pressure issue (and I really don't understand why Lotus put in the airflow vents, they must of had a good reason?). It has also had both door seals replaced recently, so they seal tightly. But you are right, the wind noise over 70 drowns out, or at least evenly matches, the engine noise.
1967 Lotus Elan FHC Spyder Chassis
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:01 pm

2cams70 wrote:The Lotus engine is a lot smoother, sweeter and less busy at high RPM if you keep it at the standard stroke. Making it 1700cc by putting in a long stroke crank will be to the detriment of refinement at high RPM

No question there - I built (with the help of much smarter people than I/me at the motor club at RAF Henlow), a stroked and alleged 1696cc motor for one of my Mk1 Lotus Cortinas (yes, I had two at that time, always good to have a spare :D). Built properly and re-jetted etc and it ran very well BUT nowhere near as smooth as the original and/or the original with a couple of overbores .
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Being relaxed whilst driving well and fast, within one 's own limits, as well as those of the road, conditions and car, are what I would aspire to. I believe this was Jim Clark's secret ingredient in his driving. We read that he was almost nervous and a reluctant decision maker out of the car. Once behind the wheel though, his relaxed style led to less wear and tear on his cars and a smooth, successful, less frantic driving style.

Being relaxed in an Elan is, I feel, a combination of factors. You, as the driver, are obviously the key ingredient. You have to be in the right frame of mind. You have to be comfortable, with your seat placed just right, your arms and hands able to be utilised efficiently yet in a relaxed way. You need to be feeling good, mentally and physically. Us older chaps with prostate problems do not drive in a relaxed manner if we are beholden to our - apparently - full bladder, for example!

Then there is the car. The driver needs to feel at one with the controls. He or she needs to feel confident that the car will perform as it is expected to. That the car will not let you down. Not always a given with Elans, I fear! You need to be confident that you know where you are going, so navigation is not an issue. That you have enough fuel for the journey, or at least know that you will be able to fill up when required. You need to know that you have time, to enjoy, to be relaxed and not under stress.

Once all those factors are taken care of, then we may feel relaxed about the drive ahead. Late on Sunday afternoon I left Hethel after our wonderful day celebrating the 60th anniversary of the launch of the Elan. We had enjoyed ourselves. I had no time pressure. I knew the road I wished to take. The car had behaved on the journey up to the factory early that morning and so I had no reason to expect anything else other than the regular beat of the engine, transmission and suspension working in harmony. I set off in a relaxed frame of mind (having had a pee, of course!) and ready to enjoy my 80 odd mile journey home.

The first ten miles were through single track Norfolk lanes. It allowed the engine to reach its normal working temperature of 85 degrees C and steady oil pressure of 40 psi. It allowed me to settle into that rhythm that a relaxed drive allows. Thence I came upon the main A class road, long and straight, typical of Norfolk, punctuated by a roundabout every few miles. My cruising speed on these roads was around 65 mph. The roundabouts allowed me to squirt the car around the 'corner' before settling back into the cruising gait. After some 30 miles of this I reached the ancient town of Bury St Edmunds. I negotiated the roads through the outskirts and then, after a refueling stop for the Sprint's usual diet of Esso Synergy Supreme 99+ petrol, I hit the B class roads through the Suffolk and Essex countryside.

My roof was down, I was warm and comfortable, relaxed, even. The sun was settling toward the horizon, the smell of the English countryside delightful. There was hardly any traffic so I was able to enjoy myself, exploiting the performance and handling of the little car. Nothing stupid, nothing wild but eminently enjoyable, rewarding, fun and yes, relaxed. Close to home there is one right handed corner. It is dead tricky to get right, approached as it is over a hump. Ideally you track left to the edge of the road once over that hump, though the road is unsighted for a second, then turn in and take the apex of the 90 degree turn, before powering away to the next corner. Did I get it right this time? Nope! But that is testing and fun. Being relaxed helps, of course, however, it did not increase any stress levels and I carried happily on, homeward.

Once I had maneuvered the Elan into the garage and headed for the door to home, it was in a relaxed, happy and contended way. So, yes, it is possible to have a relaxed drive in an Elan!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:21 pm

Good stuff, Tim!
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: