new high price (NA) reserve not met on bat

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 pm

I'd say, this sets a better benchmark for our cars. Still not the >$100k they should be.

The high bid was $50,000, but the reserve was not met.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969- ... lan-s4-11/
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Did you see the new posted ask of $69K? Should be available for a while. :D
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 pm

This market is a gift to sellers. And they're reaching for whatever they think they can get, and beyond. For me, they can keep their cars. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:43 pm

Dealer trying to recover restoration costs. Does that ever work out?
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:25 pm

I suppose in the UK it could be £60k
How does an American Muscle car get such huge money, usually with high production numbers. Even in Europe.

Sure I am glad I can afford one or more, though I have noticed many cars getting less than they are worth. Many more fetching much higher amounts the last year.

Going for a drive on some newly paved winding mountain road with very few motorists. Maybe Hwy 31 north, or 31a west to enjoy what I got!!! :D
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:30 am

Interest rates next to nothing and runaway inflation. Those with money in the market have been cleaning up for some time now.

Those without have a snow balls chance of getting any but those that have are doing great.

Herd mentality on certain models seems to take over as well. Why does a MGB with NO miles not bring more?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mg-mgb-69/

While a 23 window VW bus is worth the moon????

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 am

h20hamelan wrote:I suppose in the UK it could be £60k
How does an American Muscle car get such huge money, usually with high production numbers. Even in Europe.

Sure I am glad I can afford one or more, though I have noticed many cars getting less than they are worth. Many more fetching much higher amounts the last year.

Going for a drive on some newly paved winding mountain road with very few motorists. Maybe Hwy 31 north, or 31a west to enjoy what I got!!! :D

Just for giggles I googled Canada hwy 31.
Man, I'm envious!
Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 am

road and track had hwy31 as top 5 in NA. The roads have all been paved recently. The Elise loves them. The trials bikes love the high country, kayaks the river, skis and bikes the mtn...
part of the reason I am here is the fantastic roads

though I took all my savings 25 years ago to buy a home. 7yr old, 15,19, 24 and...I am broke, and nothing left in the old stocks game.
but I found a few Lotus needing some love, so I am happy at least where I live. And the fam makes it home.

funny, the Kootenays never noticed the depression was going on. Fruit, nuts, veg, meat and all seems fine here.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 am

Bonhams 26-28k lb
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 11.03.19 PM.png and

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 11.01.41 PM.png and

Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 am

I recall reading that the reason for the pop-up headlights on the Elan was that if the headlights were fitted as shown in the picture above, then they wouldn't meet minimum height requirements.

So is the car road-legal with lights behind the cowls?

Edit: A quiet afternoon, so I did some digging. In the UK the minimum height is 500mm (presumably to the bottom of the headlamp), in the US (it is state specific) is 24 inches.

I think the light is probably OK in the UK, but wouldn't work in the US.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 pm

Fred Talmadge wrote:Dealer trying to recover restoration costs. Does that ever work out?

Dealer "stole" this car from the PO for $34K at a recent "no-reserve" auction. The PO ate the restoration costs, not the dealer.

The dealer, at $50K, would have made a ~50% profit in just a very short while. But, apparently pushing for more. Dealer did nothing to the car, from what I know.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Andy8421 wrote:I recall reading that the reason for the pop-up headlights on the Elan was that if the headlights were fitted as shown in the picture above, then they wouldn't meet minimum height requirements.

So is the car road-legal with lights behind the cowls?

Edit: A quiet afternoon, so I did some digging. In the UK the minimum height is 500mm (presumably to the bottom of the headlamp), in the US (it is state specific) is 24 inches.

I think the light is probably OK in the UK, but wouldn't work in the US.

Back "in the day" when the US came up with that minimum height cr*p it wasn't for our safety but to limit competition to our auto industry. A far bigger hazard now days is the obscene monster pickups coming out of Detroit with headlights that blind anyone smaller than themselves. Don't see any legislation banning headlights that are too high.....

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 pm

nomad wrote:Back "in the day" when the US came up with that minimum height cr*p it wasn't for our safety but to limit competition to our auto industry. A far bigger hazard now days is the obscene monster pickups coming out of Detroit with headlights that blind anyone smaller than themselves. Don't see any legislation banning headlights that are too high.....

Kurt

Don't get me started on the stupidity of US automotive regulations and their counter productiveness. They are mostly about limiting competition for the US auto industry but really just hurt consumer unless they just want to drive an oversized pickup truck!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: