Sprint Exhaust Manifold

PostPost by: Roland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 am

I am looking to replace the exhaust manifold on my Sprint which fits badly.

This 'standard' Kelvedon manifold looks a lovely bit of kit but at quite a price. They assure me the fit is good, just wondered if anyone had experience of this manifold before I go ahead.

Roland
Attachments
DSC00517.jpg and
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am

I can't speak from experience, but the Kelvedon manifold looks good on their website , and the price at £399 ex vat compares well with the Tony Thompson one at £450 ex vat. (I see Kelvedon are out of stock at present )

I fitted a TT manifold long time back, 1.5" primaries, 1.625 secondaries, 2" main pipe, all about +5mm over the Kelvedon dimensions. Very happy with it.

The TT manifold needs a bit of shoe-horning around the rear port. It helps to shorten the studs to a minimum, use 10mm K-nuts, and bolts instead of studs at the rear flange.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm

I spoke to Kelvedon today and I am not sure they will re-stock on that large bore manifold at £399. They also advised me it would not fit that easily, I think it was described as a bit of a monster. Anyway didn't exactly sell it to me and I don't need a large bore manifold that needs adjustments to fit.

They have spent quite sometime it appears developing the 'standard' manifold in the picture I attached and a large bore version. They told me the fit on both should be OK. They are made from 316 SS and do look like a quality piece of work.

Just wondered if anyone out there had tried them.

R
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm

The Paul Matty fast road manifold is well made and fits without causing injury to you or the car. I think it's the best fast road manifold available.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm

I have a Matty standard manifold on my car from 2000, the fit is not great and the Y piece slants downwards. I have spoken to Matty and they advise it is because the manifold is designed to fit both a 4 speed and 5 speed box. If I purchased one of their latest manifolds it is not likely to fit any better than the one I have, that’s what they told me. Hence the reason why I looked at the very expensive Kelvedon manifold.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:11 pm

This is a timely thread as I have an exhaust leak from the end of the manifold so it is exiting from the slit in the y piece.

What I would like to know - if I have to replace it - how much louder are the stainless manifolds compared to the steel one I currently have ?

I changed the rear silencer a few years ago and the car got louder, without it necessarily being more pleasurable.

Thanks
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Roland wrote:I have a Matty standard manifold on my car from 2000, the fit is not great and the Y piece slants downwards. I have spoken to Matty and they advise it is because the manifold is designed to fit both a 4 speed and 5 speed box. If I purchased one of their latest manifolds it is not likely to fit any better than the one I have, that’s what they told me. Hence the reason why I looked at the very expensive Kelvedon manifold.

Strange that they say that. I've fitted the manifold to a S3 and a Sprint, on both occasions it fitted really well, unlike the TTR manifold, which I struggled with.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes it surprised me as well because I thought they modified/tweaked the Matty manifold design some years ago to get a perfect fit.

I know the TRR large bore manifold can be a challenge so I won't go that route.

I actually have the original steel manifold for the car and I did trial fit that some time back. That really is a perfect fit with the tubes to the Y piece level and the Y piece parallel with the chassis. It is still serviceable but does carry some corrosion on the downpipes, I am also missing the Y piece for it but could get one to fit.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Roland wrote:I have a Matty standard manifold on my car from 2000, the fit is not great and the Y piece slants downwards....

I bought a s/h 4-branch manifold, to replace the standard cast-iron manifold and box, and it sloped downwards due to the rear gearbox mount having failed. I discovered that after several years use.

It clearly isn't your problem if you are comparing yours with a previously fitted 4-branch.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:57 pm

As mentioned my original Lotus manifold fitted perfectly but it's carrying some corrosion.

Matty's told me all their manifolds point downwards at the Y-piece. This perhaps is shown in the attached side profile picture of a Sprint being auctioned at Silverstone today with a Matty manifold. You can see how the whole exhaust dips down, mine is the same. Matty's also told me they no longer use the support off the gearbox and it is not really required. I think perhaps this is also because of the poor fit making it difficult to use that support.

Maybe I am being pedantic but I am looking for a better fitting solution, this will also reduce the exhaust grounding risk.I have asked Kelvedon to send me some pics showing the fit of their fabricated 316 SS manifold.
Attachments
Silverstone Sprint DHC.pdf
(766.11 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:38 pm

A friend bought a fast road manifold from Kelvedon Lotus and we had an opportunity to compare it side by side to my PMS manifold and they were identical. That would have been two or three years ago, it's possible that they've changed suppliers since.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:47 pm

Mazzini,

I think you are correct, in the past the Kelvedon and Matty manifolds were the same or very similar. However Kelvedon are now indicating the fabricated manifolds (standard and large bore) in 316SS shown on their site have been developed by themselves. If done correctly these should be a quality job, at £700 plus VAT I would hope so.

However I really need to find someone who has bought one of these manifolds before spending that kind of money. Also slightly concerned at how these manifolds will sound.

R
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Paul Matty's manifolds are made by the same people that make BMW Motorrad's Bike manifolds, they are stunning!

Available here https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/product/mainfold-y-piece/ for 395 pounds.

Tons of chassis clearance = no drama
IMG_0924.JPG and

No connection, just happy I bought them a couple of years ago :-)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:21 pm

It's the fit at the lower end, in particular the Y piece being angled down. By their own admission this is an issue and you see it on some cars. I doubt the engine bay will be an issue on mine since I have a Matty manifold and no issues in that area.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 pm

I have the PMS manifold etc and yes the Y does point down. However I have just re-installed it pointing up when I put a 5 speed in. Plenty of clearance and the pipe goes right down the middle.

Cheers
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: