Extra holes behind the tail lights?

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Emma-Knight wrote::idea: By size and position original 2x2 tail lamp setup S1 style replaced by Vauxhall cluster S2 style. The small hole for the outer lamp probably disapeared in the outer big hole.
The size of the small S1 hole is the same as the front indicator hole and fixings.
Anna

Yes, it could well be!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21572&start=

Second comment down from Gary shows the questioned holes.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 pm

Sorry to flog a dead horse (that's English for continuing a dead topic) but the big holes would not have been for the S1 lamps, which have small mounting holes, and they also have the wrong spacing; but the small holes are in the exact position (and pattern) for the S1's main/brake lamps if its flasher lamps were in the centre of the large outer holes.

The large holes are in the exact position for the Vauxhall unit's bulb holders relative to the square of small bolt holes which attach it. So Zog's early S2 simply had Vauxhall lamps substituted for its original Lucas units.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am

So I got out some Simple Green and a tooth brush and cleaned the spot on the firewall where the body number is placed. Although the chassis number on this car is 4212, the body number is 3837. I've read where they often don't match. I'm guessing this body was tucked in the corner of the factory storage yard for a while and when they went to use it they had to change the holes for the Vauxhall tail lights.

For reference, the car has the full width one piece dash, the round oil filler cap and the round screw on fuel filler cap.

Fun detail stuff. Thanks for all the input!
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:53 am

Just out of curiosity, is the windscreen frame attached on each side with a single or double hole?

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:14 am

Single.
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:14 pm

Mine too.

Only early S1s had matching body numbers.

I used to have simple round oil and petrol caps too but they all found new lives long ago. Kelvedon supplied a later 3-eared oil cap which you can actually grip and after losing two petrol caps after forgetting to refit them I bought a locking cap and put its key on the ignition's ring. Ironically, I started detaching the ignition key during petrol fills (to hold the immobiler off) and a couple of weeks ago lost the cap with all my other keys on a roundabout! By the time I found it, in the middle of two busy lanes, it had been run over but I straightened it out and had a spare petrol key at home as that had broken.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: