1970 Lotus Elan S4 FHC (RHD)

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:44 pm

All,

Would some kind owner please post pictures of what the headliner should look like? My car's headliner has been removed and some awful looking generic one used.

Would the car have had a Lodestar, Confetti or Plain finished headliner originally?

Thanks

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 pm

My 68 FHCs both originally had confetti, which was difficult to source for a while (and some of the most recent usual suspects did not even know what it was), then I found out that [url]smsautofabrics.com[/url] would offer some - pretty close replacement material, within 5% of original size and pitch pattern I would say...
I understand serious reputable dealers in the UK may as well by now.

will redo it when I get the itch too bad.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm

nmauduit wrote:My 68 FHCs both originally had confetti, which was difficult to source for a while (and some of the most recent usual suspects did not even know what it was), then I found out that [url]smsautofabrics.com[/url] would offer some - pretty close replacement material, within 5% of original size and pitch pattern I would say...

Thanks. Will check them out. Any chance you can post photos of the headliner/ rear shelf area as my car has been so butchered nothing remains as it came form the factory.
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: matt1954 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi
Here's some photos of the headlining out of my RHD 1970 S4/SE Sprint, no. 0199E

Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt
Attachments
IMG_4677.jpg and
IMG_4678.jpg and
IMG_4679.jpg and
matt1954
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm

dpchamp87 wrote:
nmauduit wrote:My 68 FHCs both originally had confetti, which was difficult to source for a while (and some of the most recent usual suspects did not even know what it was), then I found out that [url]smsautofabrics.com[/url] would offer some - pretty close replacement material, within 5% of original size and pitch pattern I would say...

Thanks. Will check them out. Any chance you can post photos of the headliner/ rear shelf area as my car has been so butchered nothing remains as it came form the factory.

original headliner confetti.jpg and
original headliner material "confetti" 1968 S4se

The other original material I have heard of was called "Lodestar"

Basket weave like material (like shown in the previous post) was often offered as a replacement when original material was not available (or when people just did not know what was original), but I don't recall having seen it as an original fit.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks for the photos. Sue Miller has all the different materials on order and she will point me in the right direction as to which material was used in 1970 on S4s.

Thanks again,

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orwelian » Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 am

This is fitted to my original 69 S4
Attachments
Roof Liner.jpg and
69 Roof liner
Orwelian
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon May 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Orwelian wrote:This is fitted to my original 69 S4

thank you , this is the "lodestar" pattern - if you get a chance, please post a photo with a ruler for scale
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: