Lotus Elan

overseas registration

PostPost by: street » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 pm

NZ has some quirky rules when importing a vehicle of special interest. Along with lots of paperwork I need to answer the following questions:

ALL RELATED TO MY 1971 +2

The vehicle was manufactured as a high performance vehicle
It was produced in volumes of 20,000 units or less per year
It is a collectors item from following magazines numerous listed but main one for uk is - Top gear uk.


I am sure there are lots of articles out there, please could you post so I can build up my supporting information.

Thank you.
street
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Location: new zealand

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Is the onus on you to prove the requirements? If so, it seems a weird way to do things.
France is not the easiest, but at least the guide lines are laid down for what is a ‘voiture de collection’
It is a recorded fact that only about 5000 +2 were made between 68 and 73. So first question answered.
Lotus is known for making sports cars. Maybe in 68, not high powered by todays standards, but then your +2 made 60 from a standing start in 7.9 secs and went on to 120mph. It was impressive. So yes. Second question answered.
I certainly would not go by what a magazine might say, especially Top Gear, but if there were 5000 units made fifty years ago, and assuming half are now scrapped, there will be few sold in car lots as daily drivers, so common sense will prevail and say yes, question three answered.
There some Elans in NZ - how did these get in? Surely the precedent has been already set?
Hal Adams

Evora 350S IPS 2+2
Elan +2
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 490
Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Location: Limoux, France

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 pm

HCA wrote:I certainly would not go by what a magazine might say, especially Top Gear, but if there were 5000 units made fifty years ago, and assuming half are now scrapped, there will be few sold in car lots as daily drivers, so common sense will prevail and say yes, question three answered.


The figure I've seen generally agreed-upon that only about 1100 are still around.
1969/70 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
User avatar
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Location: Atlanta 'burbs (southeast USA)

PostPost by: gherlt » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 am

street wrote:It is a collectors item from following magazines numerous listed but main one for uk is - Top gear uk.

How can a magazine (founded in 1993) writing about new cars be relevant to a classic car (presented in1962) ???
I would take Classic & Sports car from July 2012, Elan at 50, has 5 twoseaters and 3 +2 on front cover.
1964 S1 (engine ready, awainting body paint)
1967 S3 DHC (trying to recreate Alex Black's window cable clamp bolt)
1969 S4 FHC (engine worn ... )

Brian Bucklands 2nd edition available ! Look here: https://theelanman.com
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 603
Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Location: Weiden (DE) & Tarragona (ES)

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:20 am

The Veg wrote:
HCA wrote:I certainly would not go by what a magazine might say, especially Top Gear, but if there were 5000 units made fifty years ago, and assuming half are now scrapped, there will be few sold in car lots as daily drivers, so common sense will prevail and say yes, question three answered.


The figure I've seen generally agreed-upon that only about 1100 are still around.


Even more of a reason that question 3 is answered without magazine intervention :D
Hal Adams

Evora 350S IPS 2+2
Elan +2
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 490
Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Location: Limoux, France

PostPost by: street » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am

Great to see the knowledge out there, however I was hoping for some layers or factual
Information. NZ is a bit backwards.
Thanks
street
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Location: new zealand

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am

street wrote:NZ has some quirky rules when importing a vehicle of special interest. Along with lots of paperwork I need to answer the following questions:

ALL RELATED TO MY 1971 +2

The vehicle was manufactured as a high performance vehicle
It was produced in volumes of 20,000 units or less per year
It is a collectors item from following magazines numerous listed but main one for uk is - Top gear uk.


I am sure there are lots of articles out there, please could you post so I can build up my supporting information.

Thank you.



I would be answering the question this way

1. The car was manufactured by world renown racing car and road going sports car manufacturer Lotus. It was designed as a light weight sports car with extremely high levels of cornering ability and braking

2. Total production per year
Every Lotus ever made was produced in volumes less than 20,000 per year. Production data numbers specifically for Elan and Plus 2 published in a number of books and web sites including here and while subject to dispute in detail are well below the 20000 per year

3. There was a thread with a listing of magazine with Elan and Plus 2 articles and also a thread montage of front covers with Elan and Plus 2 photos. There are many books also written that cover the cars demonstrating its collectible status even more than magazine articles. Also many clubs and registers world wide exist demonstrating its collectible status. Also many specialist suppliers remanufacturing replacement parts demonstrating it collectible status. How much data do the bureaucrats want by weight and provide it :roll:

The actual best evidence of collector car status for Elan and Plus 2 is 1. price for a 50 year old car and 2. This web site.

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7898
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: 2cams70 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:42 am

The problem you will face is that a 1971 vehicle is actually quite modern and recent across the moat there in NZ. If it were a vehicle from 1871 it might have more chance of being of collectible status.
1970 Ford Escort Twin Cam
1972 Ford Escort GT1600 Twin Cam
1980 Ford Escort 2.0 Ghia
Peugeot 505 GTI Wagons (5spdx1) (Autox1)
2015 Honda City 5spd.
2cams70
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Location: Australia

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:49 pm

If you Google and look at Wikipedia re the +2:-

'Fewer than 1,200 of these cars remain on the roads today'.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/4
alanr
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 467
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Derby. UK

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm

street wrote:Great to see the knowledge out there, however I was hoping for some layers or factual
Information. NZ is a bit backwards.
Thanks



Lots of "factual information" here...https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:18 pm

A certificate of providence from Lotus
https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/certificate-provenance/
And
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practical-Cl ... SweMNewZX5
Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Cars ... 3191803175

Maybe a membership number from the lotus club will help
https://www.clublotus.co.uk/

And you will want to ask for UK MOT and ask for it to include emissions test. (both not required inside the UK, but will answer two of your requirements)
https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing
User avatar
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Location: UK, London.

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 am

Join NZ Club Lotus and use them to get it registered
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2750
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests