Elan Registry - Multiple Photo Upload - Looking for testers

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Jim, yes thats it, but I do understand the possible concerns raised relating to privacy of prior owners albeit with registration record that may already be on the public record and subject to freedom of information requests.

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:15 pm

I can understand the concerns for potential corruptions using the registry as a platform base but doesn't the good far outweigh the relatively small chance of corruption.
Aren't we all supposed to be doing our own due diligence when entering a buy/sell transaction for a major purchase no matter what the product. I can remember 'caveat emptor' being the rule of thumb.
Personally I think Jim is doing a marvelous job as I for one would not have wanted to tackle it. Trying to organise a dinner date with a group is hard enough let alone trying to put together a complicated thing like a registry..
There is a very funny email usually circulated before Xmas that has the heading 'The Politically Correct Xmas Party' whilst humorous also mimics the cotton ball existence that the Western world now finds itself in.
Thanks for your many hours spent Jim,maybe there isn't a knighthood in it for you but you are on my honor's list.
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 am

I might add that I am not AGAINST that, I find it just problematic allow users themselves to do such changes on their own without proof. And, I am aware that we cannot assume that Jim enters all changes himself.
So, I am just pointing out that procedures of such changes should be thought through.

I do not think the information on previous owners is public from official sources, for freedom of information requests of this kind you usually need to have a need for or a relation to the information (e.g. you own the car now).
But it is easily solved making that information available only to the current owner. If the previous owner has been on the registry, then you can assume he is OK with displaying this information and do so. If not, the one who really cares is the owner of the car (and the future owners, of course)
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:13 pm

I've taken the position that an owner logs in and publishes the information that they want to publish. I've tried not to publish things without this implicit approval or without asking explicitly for approval.

Some of the information people enter I don't publish publicly, email and surname for example. If you have an account and use the Owner-to-Owner contact you will know the other owners surname but not their email address until they respond.

If we decide that this information is valuable we could allow only logged in owners to see it. Having it available only to the current owner limits the usefulness of the information.

I don't enter or review every entry and trust that the community does some level of sanity check. I do look at through the data but not in real time.
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Back on topic. The multiple photos feature has been pushed to the production site. Thank you to everyone for the feedback and the testing.

Go forth and upload! (and if you see anything strange please let me know)
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: