Rear windscreens for coupes

PostPost by: webbslinger » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:34 pm

How many coupe owners are concerned that replacement rear windscreens aren't available? Does anyone actually need one now?
My interest is to see what can be done to make this critical part available.
Victor
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:07 pm

thought they were the same as the windshield??
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm

tedtaylor wrote:thought they were the same as the windshield??

Not even close.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Ted-
Somewhat similar in shape so I could see how you might think them the same, but the back glass is much smaller, especially in width.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 am

This topic is timely.

I just came in from my shop having just completed finishing my mold for the fabrication of a new rear screen for my Sprint coupe. I used a friends rear screen as a template and after 3 days work it seems bang on. Next is the actual molding process which I should have sorted out by week end.

I'll post my failure or success!

The only outfit doing wind screens that I am aware of is in Blighty and on enquirery they do not doe coupe rear screens, only fronts.

I do have a factory Plus 2 heated rear screen that I will part with if someone so needs.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:47 am

This may be of interest to some of you:
https://www.plastics4performance.com/lo ... creen.html
I hope it helps.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 pm

bitsobrits wrote:Ted-
Somewhat similar in shape so I could see how you might think them the same, but the back glass is much smaller, especially in width.

Was it the older Elite then? i seem to remember a car that used the windshield as the rear window, but maybe it wasn't a Lotus after all. Does anyone know which car/make it was???
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm

Was it the older Elite then? i seem to remember a car that used the windshield as the rear window, but maybe it wasn't a Lotus after all. Does anyone know which car/make it was???

It does ring a bell, albeit not loud enough. I'm thinking it was another British small manufacturer and the windscreen was not the same as the rear. The rear was from a different make. That's all I've got so far.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks BRG, that does help. I would be happy enough with a plastic one and perhaps that's what others have decided too judging from the response so far. Scratch proof Lexan (the only brand I'm familiar with) is incredibly tough. I will probably get one.
Bill, is it Ricky Evans motor sports that you are thinking of with the front windshields? I believe they have said that if they could get a screen to use for a template, as well as an order for 10, that they would make them. I asked the question to see if something like that was possible.
That's a worthy project making a mold. Are you going to make a one off, or are you going into the glass business?
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Victor

I queried Rick Evans as well - got no reply - took that as a no. Methinks the freight costs could put the cost up substantially.

I started this as a one off but if I am successful I will keep the mold in case someone else needs one in the future - Going into production was not really in my mind - I only want to solve a problem. If this works out I would make others but I am too retired to go into "production". This is a hobby after all - 'tho I must admit one seems to go to all ends in order to resolve some issues as parts become more unobtainable.

About 10 years ago I purchased a screen for my S1 for "just in case" - some 10 of us in North America got together for an order with Pilkington Classic Glass -I had to pick it up at their Everet warehouse. I finally replaced my 5 plus decade old sandblasted screen 3 years ago. Foresight 'eh!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:09 pm

All rather interesting to me, about 3 months ago I wanted a rear coupe screen as mine was badly scratched. I thought there would be no chance but upon calling SJ sportscars they had one in stock! Picked it up for £80, it has some strange marks on it like water stains but it’s much better than deep scratches!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:22 am

Bill,

Years ago, when Lotus closed down Lotus East distributor, I bought the rear screen they sold at clearance prices just as you thought "just in case" and I know that they are smaller than the windscreen because I made a crate to keep it safe all these years and just recently I decided to put the screen I had replaced due to wiper scratch from my SS in the same crate, but the crate is too short for it to fit

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:40 pm

I had good luck with Rick Evans in getting windscreens for my Sabra GT. He told me that he would be making a batch of 10 in about two years. So, I waited and contacted him before the two years were up, and was asked how many I wanted. With the dangers of shipping, I ordered two. The arrived well boxed and one remains still boxed up. With the Sabra GT being about as rare as frog hair, he told me the screen also was fitted to a Meadows Frisky, thus he had enough orders for the run of 10. There are 10 Frisky's still running about? I would think with the numbers of coupes out there, and if enough queries were made, he might be convinced to run a batch of 10. Seems like it's time to band together, flood him with orders, and work with him in getting what he needs to make them.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:11 pm

I just acquired a 1967 S3 Elan Coupe as a project car and presently going thru all the boxes of parts that came with it. It did have a Lexan rear windscreen however it is too small for the opening in the body, misses each side by 1-1.25" (screen to body opening) so that doesn't seem right. so I'm in the market for a rear screen for my some day street car.

I did check the plastics4performance and they list rear screens starting at 120 pounds. Kelvedone Lotus also lists them at 159 pounds. Anyone know if they are any good?

Bill, I'm in the other Vancouver. Interested in making another windscreen.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Allison
1967 Elan S3 FHC being converted to modern electric drive
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi Prezoom. Your last sentance was what I was hoping would happen. I know 2 others who are interested near here so it would only take about 7 more.
Would anyone who's tried one of Plastics4performance's rear screens care to comment on them?
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: