Lotus Elan

Spare wheel Europa

PostPost by: Mrozik » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:52 am

Hi
For my sins and to relieve the boredom of Covid after finishing the restoration on my 1968 +2, I found an 1973 Europa Speial to restore. One of the things that is missing is the spacesaver spare wheel and I can't seem to find any specifications for it or indeed a second hand replacement. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Mrozik
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:08 am

Hi there,
The Europa didn't have a spacesaver wheel, it generally came with a spare the same as the others fitted to the car. If you have the optional alloys then it was an alloy spare, if you had standard steel wheels then it was a steel spare.

My Europa came with steel wheels and the first owner fitted Cosmic alloys which meant I had a standard steel for a spare which I think is a good option. It's slightly smaller (4.5" vs 5.5") but the overall diameter of the 155/80 is about the same as the 175/70 on the alloys so it's probably easier to remove from under the front lid.

Your easiest option is to buy another alloy to match the car, a 4.5" steel bolt on Elan wheel would work as well. Because it's hidden away and only used to get you home, probably a Triumph Herald/Spitfire wheel would be the cheapest option even if the offsets (?) are slightly different.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ernesto » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:13 am

Hi,
My first Europe had steel wheels and a steel spare.
I'm trying to understand whether the bolt-on Elan and Europe steel wheels are identical or not... Can anyone confirm (the triangular holes, and the three studs to clamp the chrome cap seem the same, but...) please ? Thank you.
ernesto
New-tral

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 am

The spare on my car was the same cut-out pattern & 3 stud pattern.

At one point in the 80s I had 4x Elan bolt on steels which were identical, same chrome trim fittings as well. I never had the actual chrome trim for the Europa spare, just a bare wheel but I would say they are identical.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ernesto » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:53 am

Thank you, they do look identical, and considering Chapman's money-conscious mindset, i'd think the Elan wheel type was smartly re-used for the Europe. ...;-)
ernesto
New-tral

PostPost by: Mrozik » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 am

Many thanks for all the advice. Anyone know where I can get one?
Cheers
John
Mrozik
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 pm

John, I have one, located in Spain.
Please PM me.
1964 S1 (engine ready, awainting body paint)
1967 S3 DHC (left window stuck)
1969 S4 FHC (waiting for return pickup)

Brian Bucklands 2nd edition available ! Look here: https://theelanman.com
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:27 pm

It's usual to have a part number stamped in the inside centre. Don't know if that's the case with Lotus steels.
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: