Genuine Big Valve?

PostPost by: suoita » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Dear All,

I have found a nice Elan Sprint from 1971.

Everything seems in order.

However, I find the valve cover a bit unusual of a big valve.

Can you have a look of the picture and tell me if you don't think it's a pre big valve engine?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Br,

E
Attachments
Optimized-IMG_20201002_182647.jpg and
Engine picture
suoita
New-tral

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:38 pm

The cylinder head is an early die cast head, so not an original BV head as fitted to Elan Sprint (and others). Of course may have been modified at anytime to include larger inlet vales as per BV.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm

Or, it could have had the whole engine changed at some point.
Have you checked the engine number against the number on the V5 ? (Log Book).
Bear in mind that, whilst it doesn't make any difference to some people, most buyers like to see a "Matching Numbers" car, where the engine and chassis numbers are the same as when the car was new, and if they're not, should be priced accordingly.
I also notice that the paint colour s not original, (at least according to lists I see for a '71 car), being more like a British Racing Green. -( Google Lotus Elan Sprint paint colours for 1971) and I don't remember ever seeing a Sprint in BRG, or BRG / White.
The car needs a thorough check over, before buying. Chassis number, engine number, see if you can find anywhere on the shell that you can see the original paint colour, and report back.
Wouldn't want you to get bitten by someone who is presenting a car as a Sprint, which is actually a bitza !
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: suoita » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:13 pm

englishmaninwales wrote:The cylinder head is an early die cast head, so not an original BV head as fitted to Elan Sprint (and others). Of course may have been modified at anytime to include larger inlet vales as per BV.
Malcolm

Thanks for your help.
Can't it just be the valve cover?
suoita
New-tral

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:19 pm

Half moon casting intrusion into the spark plug well indicates early head. I see lots of changes to the electrics, i.e. alternator fitment.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:24 pm

Trying to view on a tablet so not that clear but is that chassis number on the ali plate rivetted on.

Check & double check all the history, might be all ok but best to make sure before you commit.
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:37 pm

What ever else it is the nicest valve cover ever produced. :D :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:35 pm

Dear E,

Contact me via my web site below with the VIN details and I shall tell you what the car should be.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:40 am

The new Dave Bean heads also have the half moons as they were made to look externally like the original early style heads ... except for the larger diameter inlet runners and i cant tell that from the photo

Heads and cam covers and engines get changed on Elans a lot so not really critical unless your looking for a concourse car. The early die cast heads don't make a good basis for a competition engine due to the smaller diameter inlet runners but are fine for a road car and can be easily tuned / modified to produce Sprint spec performance and more.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: