BLEEDING BRAKES

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm

I went to bleed the brakes today on my Elan Sprint, connected Eezi bleed cracked the calliper bleed nipple on the rear left wheel and nothing, no fluid. Unhooked the Eezi bleed and tried the pumping pedal approach, got fluid at the calliper but the level in the master cylinder didn't drop and obviously all the fluid was evacuated from the system.

I am guessing that the valve head in the master cylinder is seized shut. The system has no leaks and the master cylinder 'pumps' but there is no hydraulic communication with the reservoir as far as I can see.

I am about to pull the master cylinder out for a rebuild or replacement but before I do this I just wanted to check if anyone has experienced this and had a quick fix.

Tks

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Ok I answered my own query here. Pulled master cylinder and it is blocked with corrosion debris. Looks like a new cylinder is required. I was foolish to think otherwise!

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 am

Thanks Roland
Enjoy
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi Roland - just before buying a new one - in general, the spring supported closing valve at the front of the masterpiston has a little black rubber seal ring. It likes to dissolve and gets sticky. It will block the passage to the reservoir. If the master body shows a clean, scratchless surface in the piston bore and the piston is not seriously pitted or scared, it’s fully rebuildable. It just takes a repair kit
(This master, crusted with grey white deposits, looks inside as fine as outside. It was put away with ol‘ Girling crimson fluid, which did no harm to the interiors, though stored in a very humid cellar garage)

Anna
Attachments
69AC7468-C9B6-489A-A84E-BC97BB4FD844.jpeg and
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 pm

Anna,
Somehow, that is a dramatically good photo of a master cylinder!
Cheers,
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: