Help identifying, Super Safety?

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Tim,

I finally was able to enlarge the photo of the VIN plate and I don't see what I think would be an engine number that was out of order. From memory, I think it was somethng like 8692 and if I remember cprrectly, my 45 7380 has engine no LP8700. I can't check today as I am 900 miles away. That's why I suggested checking the number in all 3 locations.

All in all though, this Elan looks like a very fine S3 SS model which just happens to have the wrong cylinder head or maybe the whole engine.

BTW, my very good friend Eric gave me a pair of 1-3/4 SUs before he died 12 years ago because I have a spare TC engine in my garage which is a Stromburg engine and he knew 1st hand how much I detested the lack of adjustability of Strombergs. I guess I'm keeping the engine in case I ever would get an Anglebox and the 2-port engine fits in easier.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:17 am

Hi All

i recently acquired a '68 elan super safety, which appears to have all the ss 'features' listed in Tim's article, except possibly the dual circuit brake master(will need to have a look at that again when next I'm in the garage).

Curiously, the vin is 45 7256, 44 units before the first one?

Cheers
Steve
steveo
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Hello Steve,

I would love to see photos. Mine is 45/7279. I have had mine since 1979.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:15 pm

My S3 S/E SS is registered 3rd May 68 in the UK, chassis 7765, engine LP11258, and is a transition car with S3 dash, bonnet bulge, Weber engine, and perforated centre S4 seat covers.
It also has the SS interior door handles, but all exterior bits are S3, including knock-on wheels, exterior door handles, boot lock handle, and rear lights.
I recently bought the car back, as I previously owned it 18 years ago.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am

[quote="steveo"]Hi All

i recently acquired a '68 elan super safety, which appears to have all the ss 'features' listed in Tim's article, except possibly the dual circuit brake master(will need to have a look at that again when next I'm in the garage).

Curiously, the vin is 45 7256, 44 units before the first one?

Cheers
Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Nothing curious about your car! Although your SS has an earlier Unit No than that of Stresscrax, (23 units difference now, not 44) yours was invoiced six weeks after his was by the factory. Elans did not roll off the production line in Unit No sequence. The only reliable date records we have now for 1960s Elans are the invoice dates. They will do, since it is fair to assume that at that time, with Elans selling pretty well, they were sold as quickly as possible after being rolled out of quality control into the new car car park.

Of those 23 units difference, 10 were invoiced after your car. They may, or may not, have been to some degree of SS spec.

So I have now made a record in my data that you have the earliest SS Elan by Unit No; whilst Dan (Stresscrax) has the earliest by invoice date.

Tim

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:43 pm

My UK Jan 1968 S3 SE DHC 45/7764 .. has the Super safety type interior door panels & handles but nothing else that I am aware of.
Seats may have been redone in the past as it has pneumatic lumbar support system So can't confirm trim. S3 dash and lights, Weber no bulge bonnet and KO standard spinners.
So I guess it has Some Safety... :D

Also is black badges ( original bonnet badge removed and stored, Chapman wheel plus gear knob..but I have lost the emblem somewhere as the glue failed...gutted :cry: )
All this looked original so another for the pre Jimmy Clark theory?
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:29 pm

[quote="elans3"]My S3 S/E SS is registered 3rd May 68 in the UK, chassis 7765, engine LP11258,

Hi Steve
Just noticed your VIN is the next in line to mine
Although condition wise I think they may now be slightly further apart ..
In the ad for yours it looked & sounded mint.
Mine looks ok from 20 yards with your eyes closed :lol:

Mel
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi Mel, I just noticed it too. I think mine came to me first time with a black badge, but I guess someone nicked in my 17 years apart from it. Still has the black badge gearknob though.
Yes I was fortunate to buy it back when a huge amount of money had been spent on it in the intervening years.
Just changed the oil today after the first 500 miles. (I bought it with only fifty or so miles on it since being rebuilt).
Gradually getting everything to how I like it. Spending little bits here and there on spares for the boot etc. Also changed the oil pump as the engine builder put a HP pump in, and I don't like them in a road car. Managed to get a near perfect Ford / Hobourn-Eaton one much cheaper, and now it's 40psi hot at 3000rpm and 25-30 at idle.
Been out with a pal who has a Scimitar SS1 on three runs to get the miles up to 500, North Notts , South Lincs, North Lincs & Lincs Wolds. All great Elan roads.
Next is East Yorks as soon as there's a good day. Millington Pastures takes me back to the late 70's and my road rally days !

Just thought, is yours a yellow one too ? Funny, mine came to me from Thornton, Bradford, so I guess not too far away from you, and for the last 17 years has been in & around Grimsby, now back in Doncaster.
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Mine is currently BRG but has been blue and looking at the old docs including the old green log book was originally orange which apparently was unusual in 68.
Came to me via fleabay from PJS at Burton but has lived in Glossop so fairly local to me (close to Holmfirth) but had been off road for over 10 years.

It's fairly well travelled from the history I have and was in the South West for a while then Nottingham (same owner), back to the South West and was stable mate to a DB5 (work invoices for both) and then Derbyshire.
Odd coincidence was finding some old MOT that were signed by a guy I know in Glossop.
Done about 600 miles in Mine now. have also been running in and swapped the oil a couple of weeks back. It started with a leaking water pump but became a bit more involved ££££ once I got the head off :roll: pics on here of the odd cam bearing "mod" found plus oil galleries well gummed up with crud.
For once a leaking water pump was actually a good thing :shock:

Still quite a lot to do but it runs steers and stops pretty well after 18 months of tinkering.. think Carb float levels need a tweek & not entirely convinced the webcon elecy pump isn't slightly over pressure so might need a regulator.

Amazing how a 52 year old car rides our sometimes less than perfect roads and a total joy when you get a nice stretch of empty smooth moorland road to enjoy. Had a nice run out in the peak / pennines just yesterday. Really must try it with the hood up one of these days.

Main issue I have is medical, as it causes my jaw to ache due to the grin :lol:
Last edited by Sploder90 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:09 am

Haha. Me too.
After coming back to an Elan after 17 years, you forget just how good they are....
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:10 am

trw99 wrote:I hope the attached article, which I wrote for the Club Lotus News magazine last year, is helpful in identifying the Super Safety.

Tim

Do you mind if I copy this for the Identification Guide on the ElanRegistry?
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 am

Very happy for you to do so, my friend.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:45 pm

trw99 wrote:Very happy for you to do so, my friend.

Tim

I've pulled it into the test site and will get it to the live site when I figure out what to do with the pictures (other thread)
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: