Handbrake Cable routing

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:05 pm

I am restoring a 1965 Lotus Elan LH drive and am fitting the parking brake cable. Where the cable exits the foot pedal area does the outer sheath go above or below the brake master cylinder. I have tried both and neither seem to work very well. Going above the bowl causes the outer sheath to jam against the fibre glass body and stop it turning when trying to adjust the brakes. Going underneath makes the cable sheath difficult to get into the end of the brake ferrel that protrudes through the firewall grommet.

Also going over the top prevents me mounting the windscreen washer bottle bracket.

Thanks

Ivan Wood
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 pm

As a follow up to yesterdays question I finally removed the new brake cable as I could not adjust the parking brake enough to get it to work properly. I finally found the old cable which I replaced because I was told they stretch so was recommended to replace it by Spyder Cars.

See picture below!!!!

Not sure if this was for a different Lotus model but certainly not and S2.
Attachments
0A1FEF39-9AB6-4543-9E0A-5D057CE59BE3.png and
Brake cable to long
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:53 am

Sorry I can't help you regarding the LHD cable routing, but I do know that the Elan had two different type of handbrake tree, the first had a folded piece of metal attached to the tree that brought the cable attachment point forward, thus requiring a shorter cable. The later type of tree had a slot in it, in which the cable fastened, thus needing a longer cable. Fifty years later, I guess we just get the later type cable.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for that, I have just spent the morning cleaning, greasing and re-fitting the old cable and the parking brake now works and I have about 1” of adjustment still available.

I would hope that companies like Spyder would know there are different lengths and supply the correct one or get you to check before shipping especially overseas.

Looking at the wear marks on the old cable it went above the brake master cylinder so that is where I have routed it.

Cheers

Ivan Wood
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Here's a poor photo of the routing of my LHD handbrake cable. It's just visible going beside the brake master cylinder. In my case it runs under the washer pump and fluid reservoir, but then I installed them after the cable was in place so that everything fit.

I couldn't say if this is the standard routing for the handbrake cable (my wiring loom routing is most certainly not standard) but it looks about right.

Nick
Elan_speedo_cable_routing.jpg and
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 am

Sheesh. Edited my previous reply. I meant handbrake cable, not speedo cable!
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have refitted the old cable and still have around 1” of adjustment. The routing is the same as yours except you seem to have more space between the brake hydraulic reservoir and the inner fender plus your washer reservoir is further forward than mine. Mine is where your pump is.

Thanks for your help.

Ivan Wood
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: