Lotus Elan

Elan chassis 36/6810

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:41 am

The Veg wrote:Thirty-Seven.

Ah....Birmingham. Great LOG. The museum was fantastic.

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
http://www.lotusowners.com
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
Drive Fast Take Chances
71 Spyder Elan, ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 91 M100 Elan, 74 Europa, 72 Europa JPS #15, 68 Elan Coupe RHD
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Great too because my brother lives in Da 'Ham (as some locals call it) so I could stay at his place for the weekend. I'm just up the road near Atlanta so the museum is a day-trip for me, not that I go very often. Due for another visit soon I think. A few years before LOG 37 I visited with LLSE, which was very cool because we got a VIP-tour led by John Viviani that included the restoration shops, the bottom level where a few cars are displayed must be viewed by the general public from the second level, and the 'secret underground vaults' that were full of bikes waiting to go on display in the then-new expansion.

Interesting too is that just the other day I was listing to a BMW-club podcast in which they interviewed Brian Slark, a legend in the motorcycle world who now works at Barber. Very interesting inside-view from him.
1969/70 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bulfin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Best thing about Log in Birmingham is track day at Barber Motorsports Park. The museum comes in second. :D

Bob
Bob Bulfin
1969 Elan S4 DHC
Mobile, AL USA
bulfin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm

bulfin wrote:Best thing about Log in Birmingham is track day at Barber Motorsports Park. The museum comes in second. :D

Bob

I did not do the track day. I really enjoyed Talladega. We were doing 140mph in my son's Elise. I was following an Exige Cup Car and I could not keep up with him. He must have been doing 145 or 150mph.

I was watching a friend of mine and fellow board member behind me in her Elise. She has a smile from ear to ear. She was pretty much on my tail. It was a fun weekend.
Tony Vaccaro
http://www.lotusowners.com
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
Drive Fast Take Chances
71 Spyder Elan, ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 91 M100 Elan, 74 Europa, 72 Europa JPS #15, 68 Elan Coupe RHD
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:My MoT tester refused to test my car because the VIN had been defaced by the temperature capillary rubbing on it. They are not allowed to read the previous MoT to enter the number, which a previous post here explained is an acid etch. Certainly mine are vestigal now.

Think you may need to find an MOT station with nominated testers who can read and understand the testers manual.
They can't refuse to test or fail it for the VIN in your case.

No requirement for VIN if a pre August 1st 1980 vehicle or a "kit car" pre 2001..
Refusal to test would require the car to have neither reg plates or a VIN.
Ask him for a VT17 form next time, it might wake him up :D
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

Location: The outskirts of Hades with no map & a dodgy satnav
Previous

Total Online: