Sprint gold paint availability

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:08 pm

rgh0 wrote:To add to the confusion I have found the gold colour goes considerably lighter overtime. My Elan was repainted in the UK in sprint colours back in the early 70's. When I repainted the car after a rebuild in the early 80's they matched the colour. When I took it back last year to get the rear bumper resprayed after an incident requiring some repairs they used the same mix from the 80's paint job ( it was the same paint shop) and it came back a much deeper gold colour than the front bumper now is !

So if just doing one bumper you need to decide to match the original colour or the other bumper or repaint both

cheers
Rohan

That is very true...... the original direct gloss metallics were a bit renowned for bleaching but if you remove the rear bumper you can clean up and match it to the top or bottom edge. In my opinion the colours and codes used back in the day will never match thanks in main to the removal of lead from the paint (pre and post lead car paint looks very different even though they use the same codes etc) so after experience in the restoration trade i always either get some tinted or make my own shade assuming i can find an area of untouched hidden colour under a carpet or some thing like that.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: