'73 SPRINT

PostPost by: BRAD61 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 am

Morning all, I'm hoping to become a 'Sprinter', but, would like some input to see if the asking price for a 1973 S4/Sprint is too high?!
I'm being offered a sleeper/barn find that has been laid up since 1992 in a container, so, is pretty clean. It is a totally original UK model with 57K miles on the clock and would come with a factory galvanised chassis. It was first registered 1 August 1973 , so, was one of the last ones made (how close to the last one I don't know), I'm hoping to be able to get the VIN to research deeper. Also, I'm not sure if it's a 5 speeder.
I was hoping one of you guys/gals, a bit more in the knowledge, could advise how much (£'s) it would be worth ?
The current owner has suggested a price but I think it's a tad high, considering how much that will have to be spent to re-commission the little gem back to life.
Thanks in anticipation for your input.
Brad.
BRAD61
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun May 24, 2020 6:14 pm

There's not really a lot of information to go on there Brad !
Hagerty insurance give a range for a Sprint DHC as £16k in fair condition, £23k good, £31k Excellent and £48k as Concours. The FHC cars are maybe 10% or so less.

The factors that influence the value hugely are:
Condition of the bodywork / paint

Condition of the chassis, suspension, brakes

Condition of the engine, box and axle

Condition of the interior

Provenance of the car.

For example, a car that has been properly restored, with photos and invoices, and still looks to be in superb condition, just needing the hydraulics overhauling and some work on the engine to get going, is probably going to be £30k plus.

If it's covered in microblisters,cracks in the fibreglass with a shabby interior and engine bay and with no history, then it's definitely a project, around £15k.

That's probably the best range I can give with no details!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 pm

I reckon if it were put on eBay it would probably fetch £20000
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 am

Brad, when you get the details of the car I can let you know more about it and it’s provenance from my records.

See my web site below, lotuselansprint.com

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: BRAD61 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks for you replies guys,
I fully intend to re-visit the offending little gem and see if I can extract the VIN number!!
At the moment, all I know, is that it is still registered to the original owner, the current guardian never re-registered into their name. Looking on the DVLA site it was originally white, currently it is blue, so, I need to have a squint at the quality of its 'new' overcoat.
The interior looked pretty good (please bear in mind, the light source was from my phone and I didn't want to appear to be too excited !), I wasn't able to check any of the mechanicals, so, one has to presume a thorough workout would be required.
This scenario has come about completely by accident, I was never on a 'hunt', it's a case of right place right time and now I can't get it out of my mind ! I think a deal will get struck, I just would like to get it at a 'fair' price for both parties and one that gives me a bit of 'fat' to be able to afford the re-commissioning !

Catch you all later,
Brad.
BRAD61
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:29 pm

not sure they came with a "factory" galvanised chassis, more likely an "LR" replacement...

Prices by the way are all over the place. The best ones are, and always will be, expensive. The last Sprint I saw in the flesh, after a restoration sold for circa £45k and it wasn't as good as mine (imho). I have changed my opinion over the years and personally now favour the "survivor" car, minimal work done, mostly original etc however a fully restored car is a thing of beauty.

cheers
Mark

nice find by the way
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 pm

No Elan Sprints came new with a galvanised Chassis/Subframe.
If it has a galvanised Chassis it means the Chassis/subframe has been replaced.
That's very good news and there will not be problems. On my 1972 Sprint fhc it was replaced with a galvanised one in 1985 and is still perfect :mrgreen:
So the big thing to look at is the Body and all little bits of Trim that are difficult to find.
Unless the asking price is silly imho i would go for it.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: BRAD61 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:29 pm

I should have said it will be sold with a spare factory galvanised chassis. It’s still on the original one that had 18 years of service!!!!
The more I’m finding out the more appealing this Sprint is becoming!!!!
I’ll keep the BB posted.
Cheers,
Brad.
BRAD61
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Mon May 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Sounds good but its all down to the price! If its been laid up for getting on for 20 years all the rubber will be on its way out at the very least. That includes the rotoflexes, diff mounts, the rear strut top mounts etc. Easy enough to replace but a bit fiddly. You might be lucky with the wishbone metalsatic bushes but dont be on it - they can be replaced easily with polybushes. Mechanically check if the engine turns over, the head will probably need an overhaul and the water pump will be shot, so the engine will need to come out. Gearbox and Diff don't tend to give problems. The presence of a replacement chassis implies the original is shot; check the front turrets as thats where they rot first. Chassis plate should be under the bonnet. My Veloce buyers guide gives a pretty good summary of what to look for and its cheap! I'm sure the forum would appreciate some pictures!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Imho i wouldn't bother to check the Chassis There is a new galvanised one so just fit that.
Buy a Chassis Bolt/Screw fitting kit.
Buy a Roll of Kunifer Brake Pipe +good Flaring Tool.
Angle Grinder to cut through Bolts.
You will need to dismantle Engine to give it a refresh.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Send Tim, trw99, the factory/registration details, post any photos here and, perhaps we may be able to help you.
Why did the original chassis only have 18 years of "service"? Has it been off the road for a considerable period? Apologies if I have missed something... I usually do. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: BRAD61 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:39 am

I'm hoping to have another (closer) viewing of the Sprint today and retrieve the VIN number to forward onto trw99 to gain more 'intel'.
The car has been laid up since 1992, the current owner purchased it that year from the original owner, therefor, the car was on the road for 18/19 years and since then it's been in storage. I have no idea what the chassis is like, so, today could reveal a lot of information.
I will not hesitate to share any of my findings and hopefully the news that I am the proud owner of a little gem ??!!!!!
Cheers,
Brad.
BRAD61
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:04 am

Apart from general photos of the condition try to get a clear close up of the chassis plate and the engine number (unlikely the engine has been changed but you never know. Are you prepared to tell us what figure the owner wants for it?

Exciting time don’t get carried away. Good luck!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 am

Hi Brad,
imho i would not say the price and the most important is if you are happy.
I hope you manage to get it and have a nice hobby getting it back on the road.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: BRAD61 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 am

I have purposely not cited any prices as I wanted to see what you guys might be a fair price?!.
I fully appreciate condition is a fundamental pre-requisite, I just wondered if the was a 'yard stick' that could be used ??
Cheers,
Brad.
BRAD61
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: