Video - 1962 Earls Court Motor Show

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:14 pm

The newly introduced Lotus Elan is shown at 4:45..

https://classicmotorsports.com/video/19 ... tion+Email
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Dark red cam cover and blue brake calipers!
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am

Interesting to see two things from the video

1. How primitive most of the other cars were compared to the Elan ... that's why the Elan is the sports car benchmark even today
2. How much badge engineering was going on in the British car industry at the time..... thats's why it does not exist today ( in addition to the primitive engineering by most companies see point 1 ) and why VW need to be careful with VW brand versus Audi and Toyota need to be careful with versus Lexus as brands let alone all the badge engineering going on between car companies over specific model sharing in low volume cars such as Toyota 86, Toyota Supra and Fiat Spyder.

if you dont know history you will repeat the same mistakes :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am

Love the film .. thanks for posting.

Gino
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:36 pm

And definitive proof that the chrome strip between the front bumper and body was not held in place with screws at the ends!

My first ever ride in an Elan was sitting up on the rear bodywork, as demonstrated by the young lady. I probably wasn't any heavier than her at the time....

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Interesting video.

The Elan does indeed look ahead of the game and I was amused by the perceptive comment about being "upto scratch for the new market opening up for British firms..."

With respect to the strictly anorak items, what was the correct type of fuel hose for the Webers? Did this change for production to save weight or money, perhaps both?
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Fantastic clip, a few build issues in evidence (missing doors etc). One of my first rides was in an Elan Coupe sitting on top of the Diff, legs stretched along the tunnel - 100+mph was a bit hairy in that position....
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 pm

rgh0 wrote:1. How primitive most of the other cars were compared to the Elan ...
2. How much badge engineering was going on in the British car industry at the time..... thats's why it does not exist today ( in addition to the primitive engineering by most companies see point 1 )
cheers
Rohan

Most sophisticated maybe the BLMC ADO16 - Blueprint for all future hatchbacks. Full independent "fluid" suspenders. Huge interior room efficiency. All gone.

Ford's Cart Sprung clunkers - still going strong!

Problem with sophistication is it costs a lot of money. They should have kept Issigonis in his box!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 pm

elanner wrote:And definitive proof that the chrome strip between the front bumper and body was not held in place with screws at the ends!

My first ever ride in an Elan was sitting up on the rear bodywork, as demonstrated by the young lady. I probably wasn't any heavier than her at the time....

Nick

The screws at the ends appeared later on in production. Probably because owners complained of the trim working loose or falling off so a cheap fix. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:30 pm

It was probably required due to the unnatural angle of attack of the front bumper as most owners routinely drove the cars three up!
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:08 pm

Notice the flashing headlights, caused by just pulling the vacuum switch without the sidelights being on.

Also has the beige door trims...

Seriously dressed up for the Auto show with Chromed suspension etc.

Thanks for posting.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Phil. I believe this was the rolling chassis that is,or was, on display at the Science Museum, Kensington. I haven't been there, since a boy, to see if it is still there. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:43 pm

JimE wrote:Phil. I believe this was the rolling chassis that is,or was, on display at the Science Museum, Kensington. I haven't been there, since a boy, to see if it is still there. Jim

Interesting, is it the same one? https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Automobiles_in_the_Science_Museum,_London
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Phil That's the one so a different one from the Earls Court Show. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:09 am

I grew up on the Left Coast of the USA in aerospace and car crazy southern California in the 50's & 60's. I recall going into downtown of our little suburb of Los Angeles to see the fall unveiling of the latest models. Other than the Corvette, and the Buick Riviera I left disappointed.

I was fascinated by the Italian, English and German models shown in Pasadena... It was literally a different world. Then I saw the reviews of the Lotus Elan in Road & Track and Sports Car Graphic...

A year later, our neighbor drove up the street in her white S1 and I was completely hooked. It was Evelyn's 25 wedding anniversary present to replace her MG TC. He bought it directly from Bob Challman. The mechanicals were serviced by Frank Monise Motors in Pasadena (still the family business today in Montclair, CA). Everything else, Evelyn maintained herself including paint and fiberglass work. Her son Will and I would sit for hours in that car or in his dad's Lancia Aurelia coupe if we weren't building or flying balsa wood model airplanes.

Almost 40 years later, Evelyn called my mother and asked if I was coming to visit soon. I was actually visiting that weekend. She wanted to drive her Elan but the clutch needed adjustment. We jacked up the car in her driveway, put it on stands and I showed her how it was adjusted, letting her do the wrenching at her request (she was in her late '80s).

Seeing the smile on her face as she drove off was priceless, brought back many great memories, just like the little film above.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: