Page 1 of 1

Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:08 pm
by PaulH
I've put together a video showing an overview of my Elan S2 restoration.
https://youtu.be/K9S2yu1lb2g
Enjoy,
Paul

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 pm
by 661
Lovely video.
Is that the same bloke in the early pictures?

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:19 pm
by gjz30075
Nicely done Paul. Thanks.

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:41 pm
by PaulH
661 wrote:Lovely video.
Is that the same bloke in the early pictures?


That young looking chap removing the paint you mean, yes that's me in my youth :)

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:17 pm
by baileyman
With such a car now on the road, how does one scavenge the time for another video?

John

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm
by nomad
Paul, is there a catalog or some other means to reference all of your fine video's. That is without an extensive search on Elan net. I hope to finally get something done with my S1.

Kurt

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm
by The Veg
Not to speak for Paul, but here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQVoX ... 6xQ/videos

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:14 pm
by PaulH
baileyman wrote:With such a car now on the road, how does one scavenge the time for another video?

John

It seems to have been raining constantly in Derbyshire since I got it finished.

Paul

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 pm
by PaulH
nomad wrote:Paul, is there a catalog or some other means to reference all of your fine video's. That is without an extensive search on Elan net. I hope to finally get something done with my S1.

Kurt

The Veg wrote:Not to speak for Paul, but here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQVoX ... 6xQ/videos


Hi Kurt,
'The Veg' has got it worked out with the link he's sent.
If you don't mind creating an account on YouTube you could then subscribe to my YouTube channel. No pressure from me to do so, I'm not making any money out of it (no embedded adverts) and I understand that some won't want to create a YouTube account.
Alternatively you could bookmark the link that 'The Veg' has sent in your internet browser so you have a quick link to the videos. Glad they may be of some use to you.

Paul

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:37 am
by nomad
Thanks, much!!, Paul and Veg

Kurt
26/3754

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:13 am
by Famous Frank
Paul,

Only a few words, ...................

ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!!!! WELL DONE YOUNG MAN!

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:13 am
by fjrtel
Hi Paul, thank you for your great series of videos! I am restoring an early S2 myself, and will need to replace at least one door hinge bobbin. Did you do a specific video on that repair? If so, grateful for the link.

Many thanks once again for this mine of information!

Terry Griffiths

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 am
by CULVENOR
Hi Terry I?m half through restoring an S2 - I?m on the Central Coast just north of Sydney - where are you.
John C

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:01 pm
by PaulH
fjrtel wrote:Hi Paul, thank you for your great series of videos! I am restoring an early S2 myself, and will need to replace at least one door hinge bobbin. Did you do a specific video on that repair? If so, grateful for the link.

Many thanks once again for this mine of information!

Terry Griffiths


Hi Terry,
Glad you like the videos. Yes, I have made a video to show how I replaced the door hinge bobbins. Here's a link, jump to 2:53 if you want to avoid the preamble:
https://youtu.be/hdg-PXZtEpk
I used the technique described by Sue Miller.

I've also put the details into a PDF file:
Replacing the lower hinge cup bobbins.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 96 times


Hope this helps,
Paul

Re: Elan S2 restoration overview

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 am
by fjrtel
CULVENOR wrote:Hi Terry I?m half through restoring an S2 - I?m on the Central Coast just north of Sydney - where are you.
John C


Hi John, I'm in Jerrabomberra, just on the NSW side of the ACT border. We should meet and compare disasters some time... I'll be away O/S until at least the 24th, so forgive me if I don't answer your replies for a while.

A quick overview: I bought a local Canberra (since 1967) car which has been in a garage since 1994 when the owner died. It needs a full restoration (it was raced and, I am sure, smacked a few times, but not heavily), and I've just started. Engine goes off for sleeving tomorrow, gearbox was dropped off today for a freshen-up, and the body and chassis will be attacked when I get back at the end of the month. Doing most things myself, except those I can't or don't have the equipment for. A mate builds Lotus race engines for a living (gold!), and he's doing the head and leaning over my shoulder when I rebuild the rest of the donk.

Please let me know where you are with the resto. What's your chassis number? Mine's 26/4193, and was the fifth of 20 invoiced to Geoghan's on 23 Dec 1964. It's such an early S2 that it's got S1 tail lights, but is totally original otherwise.

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for your message!

Terry