S3 DOOR REBUILD

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I have a 1967 RHD S3 that needs both doors rebuilt. Having trouble getting the window frames out, even with all of the proper bolts/screws removed. Don't want to break anything. I know the best place to take the doors is Richard Kampena in California. That's not practical for me, although he has been fantastic in giving advice long distance. I seem to remember there was someone in the Atlanta area who specialized in older Loti. That's not too far from me. Can anyone help with a suggestion as to someone who could rebuild/rechrome the window frames?

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 am

i know someone in the UK who has 3 new door frames (2 le and 1 ri) at 1500? a piece (just new frames without window or small bits). sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am

The window frame should come out fairly easily. Make sure all four mounting bolts and the slot head bolts below the latch are out, and the window motor is removed. The latch mechanism and the long arm / inside door actuator also must be removed- there is an "E" clip that holds them together. With these things removed, the frame will slide right out.

There could be shims between the frame and door for adjustment purposes, make note of where they name from.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Charlie,

Have you spent any time on your window frames w/ chrome or metal polish. Perhaps it is the fact that the chrome is plated onto a quality brass frame that allows the plating to clean up so well.

Just keep working the frame at different angles and they will come out of the doors quite nicely.

I too have a pair of NOS window frames I bought when Lotus East was disbanded. Since all 3 of my Elans are S3 I plan to keep them for the same reason I bought them 35 years ago, for an emergency replacement should it be needed.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks, Roger. Yes, I've tried the 0000 steel wool approach (as suggested by Richard) without much luck. The PO left the car in a carport in the northeast for years. It appears the frames are hung up on the door mechanism. I'll try more coaxing.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 am

I just use Blue Magic polish or even just a normal Turtle Wax chrome polish. An old cotton sock and the frames come back so nicely. I would think steel wool would leave micro scratches. My coupe, which I've owned since 1978, sat out behind the Jag dealer in Little Rock Ar for nearly 10 years. I brought it back to Ohio and drove it for 6 years while I restored my S3 SS drophead. It went into long term storage until I took it to Florida a couple of years ago. This keeps me busy over the non-racing winter season.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Unfortunately it's the severe pitting that will require replating. Thanks for the comments.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: