Type 26 Facebook Group - interested in everyone's views

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 pm

since wiki aint comin THAT soon, why can't you scrap/change the wiki column to 26 where all that stuff'd be a bit seperate and available!? sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm

el-saturn wrote:since wiki aint comin THAT soon, why can't you scrap/change the wiki column to 26 where all that stuff'd be a bit seperate and available!? sandy

The wiki is there. Click on the link. I don?t have time to add content. We just need help on the materials.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 pm

I have intentionally stayed away from FB. I don't need my info "out there" in another site that would have me connected to more vendors wanting to sell me more of what I already get. I was the Elan technical rep for Lotus Ltd for many years and I joined this forum partly to be able to continue to help keep all Elans to stay on the road. I don't care whether its a 26-36-or 45. I don't participate as much as I used to just because there are lots of other knowledgeable people on this forum.

No thanks!

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 pm

In my opinion the Lotus Elan community does not need yet anther forum, diluting the content of this site.

If anything, all Facebook needs is a single LOCKED page which says, "If you want to discuss anything about Classic Lotus Elans visit the forums on www.lotuselan.net.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

It is interesting, with a couple of exceptions, that most of the big posters here are not absolutely in favour.

'I'm quite happy to see another Elan FB page and hope that it will stir memories and bring to our attention new facts, unearth valuable enthusiasts and help us all.Tim'.

Mmm, new facts, Tim?

It's sad that we have lost a few of the real experts from this forum. I can't imagine that they would embrace a FB page!

I confess that it was interesting to see the huge amount of images on the https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lotus.Elan/ site but why are they there and not here? FB itself postdates elan.net by around a year and FB group was only set up 2011. Again, it's a shame that all those posters weren't doing it here!

Personally I feel that yet another FB page/platform is one more dilution of content.

Ah, I see Bill beat me to it.....
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 pm

I have never seen Facebook, probably never will. Not interested !
But wait a minute, I haven`t got a type 26 anyway so why am I saying this; it will be no good to me.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
Type 45
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 pm

ericbushby wrote:But wait a minute, I haven`t got a type 26 anyway so why am I saying this; it will be no good to me.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
Type 45

'Tis in your car's DNA, though, of course! :D

Anyway, let's not start a type war!

I just like we have all the types on THIS site and long may it continue.

Yes, even those +2 people!
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Facebook works so well because it's easy. You can very easily have a little look over your morning coffee on your phone, quick and easy to put up pictures and write a comment.

I completely agree that a forum or similar is best for technical discussions.

Years ago I was heavily involved in an Australian forum for a particular imported Japanese sports car. It was a very technical forum with a large user base. I had something like 15,000 posts on it. The mods were pretty heavy handed and there was some strong characters. The last few years the place is practically dead, everyone ended up on Facebook as it was quick and easy. Real shame to see it go the way it did, but if you don't have the supporter base it will die - whether that is on Facebook or a Forum.

I see Forum's as the place for technical questions and build threads, and Facebook/Instagram as the place for pretty pictures and sharing strong opinions about things that don't matter (new Lotus badge design, how the Chinese will ruin it etc etc.)

However! If the OP wants to make a Type 26 group on facebook then go for your life! Probably not a big demand with the other classic lotus and Elan groups though.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks (!) for all of the advice and ideas.

I?m going to kick off a group for people interested in Type 26s with thinking as follows:-

1 - I think they are cool cars and want to make contact with as many owners and enthusiasts as possible, hopefully many who are currently not part of existing forums
2 - this is more then a zero sum game - the more people we get posting their pictures, knowledge amd experience the better - there is no single ?correct? web forum for that
3 - this forum needs to consider how best to link with and gain from other communities, otherwise it risks becoming the last home of an ever decreasing band. I hope any progress with a FB forum will help accelerate this.
4 - even Elite owners have a FB forum, it is great and have you seen how old those guys are?!

No answer at the moment to Mark?s question about how best to harvest all of this information to create a web resource akin to the one he created for Lotus Cortina - I hope the additional FB community will help draw out some additional material and enthusiasts for doing this.

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 am

I think David's idea is a good one. I'm just sad there isn't a type 36 page - guess i could make one- cause im sick of looking at all the plus 2s on the elan page hahah
But honestly, when you're all dead the youngsters are going to want to know things and facebook (or the next evil web thing) is where they will find it unfortunately. .. either that or in their new internet brain implants.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:56 am

I'm repeating myself but there is already FB group, Classic Lotus Elan and Plus 2 Owners, check it out before you create a new group. No need to duplicate.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:43 am

^^^^^^Exactly! But the OP strictly wants a Type 26 one. Which begins a dilution of information.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am

I'm not interested in Facebook - the minute you sign up you're effectively being monitored as to the best ways to make money out of you and I have enough relatives doing that already :lol: as others have said or implied, this forum has served the Elan community very well for a very long time and for me it is a mine of information and a nostalgic reminder sometimes of things once known but since forgotten... I have noticed lately, however, a shifting of demographic towards the Elan +2. Certainly a large proportion of posts seem to be about that model. That doesn't bother me but maybe that is what prompted the original post?
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:39 am

Could it be that the relative initial affordability / price point of entry of plus2 as seen the possible increase in posts related to the model?

Me I am interested in anything Lotus related and my only regret is the time between disposing of the 7 (Caterham, granted..) and acquiring the S3 DHC but I came here rather than FB as I don't do it or the twit thing..
If I were to look at FB I think it would be just that as currently no interest in joining Mr Z's empire. :D
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:51 am

Having had the occasional glance through the Facebook Elan group's postings it does seem to be 'rambling' than the somewhat more structured approach here. One of the things that has struck me though is that very few of the poster's names seem familiar. Is that because everyone's using their real names there rather than the nom de plumes usual here and it's actually many of the same people, or is there a second set of Elan enthusiasts who are happy to post on Facebook but don't want to get involved here?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: