Harry Drives His Sprint into Town

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Nice video here of our friend Harry Metcalfe driving his Sprint dhc into Central London for the launch of the
Lotus Evija.

https://youtu.be/BvZWJ0oIYyI

Enjoy
Steve
PS Don?t know what he?s on about I?ve taken my S3 into Town plenty of times :-)
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Giniw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:39 pm

Nice little video indeed, thanks!

Stevie-Heathie wrote:I?ve taken my S3 into Town plenty of times :-)
8)
Giniw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 am

Forgot to say he has another great video which he made a few years ago in which he does a review and road test of his Sprint - search under ?Harry?s Garage Elan?.

Must say I really enjoy his output.

Best
Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 am

Very nice. Thanks for posting the link.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 am

Great film - Now I want a Sprint. Oh dear..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Giniw » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:58 am

Stevie-Heathie wrote:Forgot to say he has another great video which he made a few years ago in which he does a review and road test of his Sprint - search under ?Harry?s Garage Elan?.
Indeed, and I have seen it quite a few times already. Why do you think I have registered on here? :lol:
Last edited by Giniw on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:38 pm

JonB wrote:Great film - Now I want a Sprint. Oh dear..

You could buy mine....... deep pockets required, but you wouldn't need to worry about overheating.

p1020263.jpg and

Serious enquiries only, offers in the region of ?40,000
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Alan, does that not have a Zetec engine in it?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:35 pm

No Jon,
It doesn?t have a Zetec.

It has a chain driven Twincam :mrgreen: none of that belt driven last century stuff. It?s a Duratec...... Similar specifications to a Caterham R300 but with an Elan body :lol:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Back on topic,
Harry?s video is very good, I know the feeling of trepidation driving into heavy London traffic in a small car like an Elan. I have driven both my cars +2 and Elan into central London on more than a few occasions and although I don?t have undue fear of overheating or other breakdown it doesn?t change me feeling very wary of other road users.

I did over 350 miles in the Elan on Wednesday last week, the bulk was motorways but at least 40 miles was spent in heavy North London stop start traffic.

Why did all the cars have to be yellow? I must have missed the reason
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:58 pm

As someone who lives in London I have no choice but to sometimes drive my Elans and Europa in central London. I occasionally use to park my Europa by the Royal Horticultural Hall (featured in the video) when I took my Europa to work. The trick is to approach each drive as if you are in a conventional car and not hessitate. The Elan in particular is actually great for nipping in and out of traffic. Obviously, the most important thing is that your fan cuts in especially on the Europa which runs a little hotter than the other two. I do make an effort to drive when it's quieter but only because I can't stand sitting in traffic full stop. Today my ambient temperature guage, while out in the + 2, was reading 37 degrees! It's on days like this you yearn for air conditioning. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Back on topic,
and although I don?t have undue fear of overheating or other breakdown it doesn?t change me feeling very wary of other road users.

Very true! After 41 years of ownership, I'm still the best defensive driver one could be, when out in the Elan.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:00 pm

I may be one of a small group of Americans (Yanks) that have driven their Elan in central London.

As noted on an earlier post I picked up my US export Elan on July 9, 1969 at the Hethel factory. After spending the night nearby the factory I figured that I would drive down to London and begin my sightseeing.

Little did I know that my timing was horrible. The traffic was horrendous as I attempted to drive from the northeast of London through town to the southwest. It was a hot day and my day-old Elan began to overheat with the temperature gauge winding all the way past 110 C. I would stop periodically to let it cool down. But, this was truly a nightmare as it literally took me 6 hours to get across London, being lost most of the time, in extreme anguish that I was destroying my brand new car through overheating.

I avoided one punch-up fight with a motorcyclist. Being unfamiliar with driving on the left side and making turns from a different lane, not to mention roundabouts, I managed to cut off a fellow on a motorcycle. Whereupon I heard the screech of tires and someone yelling at me "You bloody bas***d "!). After dumping his bike on the pavement, he came charging up to me on foot as I sat in my open top Elan. Awaiting a punch I started apologizing profusely. Hearing my American accent and seeing me sitting on the wrong side of the car (LHD), he stopped in his tracks, snorted "Yank!" , and turned around. Close call.

That night I found out that the supreme traffic snarl was due to the Queen's Garden Party. Who knew?

Here is a picture of the Queen's Lawn Party, July 10, 1969, that I indirectly was a part of:

queens-garden-party-july-10-1969.jpg
queens-garden-party-july-10-1969.jpg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

The surviving Elan (with original front number plate) now residing comfortably in California:

img_0717-2.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:33 am

I watched this today and enjoyed it.
Was going to post the link until I realised, "late as usual..."

Interested in Harry's comments about differing body weights, is there info on this ?
I wouldn't have thought a bit more glass going into a body would add up to kilos and kilos of weight difference, but I stand to be corrected.

Anyone from here in the video ?

Ralph.
N.Z.
( and we should have won the cricket ! :) ).
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am

Lovely video with a great range of examples from Lotus!

I noticed the Lamborghini Countach at the start of the video, is this the same gentleman and car borrowed by James May for a motoring programme when he bolted on the rather large tail spoiler?

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: