S4 door key

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:26 am

Actually 2 questions about my newly acquired S4 FHC.

1 - Should the trunk key also work for the doors (mine doesn't seem to but it might be the linkage)?

2 - Is there a number on the lock/cylinder that I might use to get a new one made (nothing stamped on the outside of the lock/s)?
Jerry:
'61 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:39 am

No, the boot lid lock did not match the ignition key. They are both in the FS series, so yes the ign key would go into the boot lock. (If you have an early S4, which has the ignition on the dash. I don't know what keys were used in column locks on later cars)

Yes there is a number on the square stem of the lock, inside. To see the #, remove the 2 screws holding the lock through the back of the car. There are nuts and possibly washers inside the boot you must hold. Slide the whole lock out the back and the number should be visible to you. Write down the 3 digit number and reassemble, before you lose a piece of it.

Good luck, Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 am

jabingb wrote:Actually 2 questions about my newly acquired S4 FHC.

1 - Should the trunk key also work for the doors (mine doesn't seem to but it might be the linkage)?

2 - Is there a number on the lock/cylinder that I might use to get a new one made (nothing stamped on the outside of the lock/s)?

Trunk key and door keys are NOT the same. Original equipment is 3 keys (ignition, doors, boot lock & glove box)
my glove box key and boot lid key are the same.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 am

You can take the lock barrels apart and change the position of the wards to suit a key. So you can have the same key for all the locks. Very easy to do.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: