Special washer for oil temp bulb.

PostPost by: loueelotus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 am

20190130_153019.jpg and
Hi all, Got a simple question about Special beveled washer for oil temp gauge bulb. I purchased a temp gauge in the UK and it came with this special washer. I looked around through many businesses in America and UK on the net to see if I can find a few but to no avail.. Because on my S2 Elan I am installing the gauge through the sump plug.. and I will need a new one each time (I think) when I change the oil.. even if I change the oil through the removal of the sump plug the washer will still need to be replaced because it will be loosened I am adding a couple of photos..
Much appreciated if someone can guide me to a site or place that would have them..
Lou
20190130_153019.jpg and
Attachments
20190130_153051.jpg and
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 am

They are soft copper. You can reuse them. RD or Dave Bean may sell them.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:41 am

Great .. Thanks.. I will send Ray a photo of what I need...

Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:30 am

You can also anneal them with a propane torch. Heat them until they glow, keep it there for 10 secs. Then allow it to air cool. Good as new.

-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 am

Be careful with the propane torch if the washer is the only one you?ve got. It doesn?t take much to overheat the washer so it disintegrates.

I had a spigot brazed into the sump on the other side from the drain plug to take the oil temp bulb. It?s worked well for many years - or it did until I managed to snap off the capillary tube a year or two back and now need to replace the whole thing.

I?ve wondered though whether this is the right place to be measuring oil temperature ( where else could the bulb measure it?). When the gauge was working it normally registered between 50 and 60C on a run, only rising to 80 / 90C when stuck in traffic. Those readings, according to everything I?ve read, are much too low.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:12 am

Hi all,

The copper seals can be bought from Claiborne manufacturers of current smiths instruments
incl the double gauge as well as single temp. gauge . Both employing the brass kettle/ capillary tube construction .

C.Garde
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Try a stato seal from pegasus #3245 - size. I use these on my reg drain plug and they never leak and if careful they can be reused.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Thank you all for your input and information.. RD has the copper seals..@$4.25 each.. So now I will check out other places that have it too.. I am ready to assemble it in the sump I just wanted extras to change when needed,,

About the reading of the temp .. I read the same thing here but there are disputes about that from some people trying the two methods .. Anyway...I will use whatever the reading are to know when I am at operative temp to push the car

Regards all,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 pm

Lou,

Many years ago when I was about 20, I fitted a temperature gauge by screwing a 'T' piece into the block, and using one branch for pressure and the other for temp. The vehicle was not a Lotus ( Lotus was just an aspiration back then), it seemed to work but of course I never knew if it was a true representation of oil temp. If I remember correctly there is an plug in the oil gallery behind an engine mounting, perhaps that could be used. You cold buy a sandwich plate for an oil cooler between the oil pump and the filter and use that as a tapping for temperature.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 pm

loueelotus wrote:Thank you all for your input and information.. RD has the copper seals..@$4.25 each.. So now I will check out other places that have it too.. I am ready to assemble it in the sump I just wanted extras to change when needed,,

About the reading of the temp .. I read the same thing here but there are disputes about that from some people trying the two methods .. Anyway...I will use whatever the reading are to know when I am at operative temp to push the car

Regards all,
Lou

The temperature in the sump will be the temperature of the oil within a few degrees of leaving the bearings. Most Kent based race engines run about 225 deg F oil temperature. I would not have any concerns of oil temperature under 265F. The babbitt on the bearing shells do not start to wipe until about 320F.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 am

Thanks again for all the info.. My buddy mentioned that we could use a T fitting but upon looking at the engine it seems that the best place is either through the sump plug or drill a hole on the other side in the sump.. So I am not someone to drill through the sump unless I remove it and the early series Elans are notorious with space and i would have to lift the engine and then fight to remove the sump to do the job. Been there done that Anyways we went for the sump plug.. thanks for temps on the hot engine too..

Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 am

Hi C.Garde ..Thanks for the info.. I will get in touch with them but the name of the company is **Caerbont Automotive Instruments Ltd. UK** not Claiborne manufacturers of current smiths instruments just to clarify the name.

Thanks,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: