Fascinating Photo Taken in Cheshunt in 1963

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:42 am

Just got this picture from Paul and a Super 100 badge for the Elite. A really nice guy.
Attachments
10720.jpg and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 am

What stands out to me is that the huge majority are white followed by blue think there?s only 1 red car there. The other think I noted is that there doesn?t seem to be a chrome hubcap in sight. Wonder if they were put in the car for dealer to fit later?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 am

I think they were in the boot Steve.
What a stunning photo Rob. In high res that could be studied for hours!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 am

From what I can make out -

- Four of the Elans on the transporters look as if they are in grey primer, its similar to Medici blue, but it isn't the same
- One of the Elans next to the transporter is in Primrose yellow. The Elites are, I guess, in Ford Sunburst yellow.
- Looks like the Elan, top right is in Jaguar Golden Sand.
- Never seen an all green Lotus Cortina Mk 1 before.
- Is that Anglia (bottom left) LHD? I wonder?
- BRG racing Elite at the end of the line of Cortinas
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 am

There were 3 green Mk1 Lotus Cortinas made Rob, along with a gold one and a couple of red ones (as well as the competition red cars).

Not sure if the Anglia is LHD or not, but it would be exciting if it was! I'm guessing that this is late '63, or even early 64 from the number of Elans and Cortinas in there. Certainly the Cortinas came out very slowly in the first 6 months of the years, and they were whisked away to the customer as soon as they were made, rather than being parked up.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am

According to Alan Rigarlsford, who painted all the Mike Spence Elans, many Elans were delivered to the dealers in primer, for finish-painting by the dealership.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 am

elansprint71 wrote:According to Alan Rigarlsford, who painted all the Mike Spence Elans, many Elans were delivered to the dealers in primer, for finish-painting by the dealership.

I don't doubt you or Alan for a moment, but it's nice to have a colour photo as well.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 am

Great to have a colour photo from 'that far back' as colour prints from the 60's didn't have the best light exposure stability. Is it a print from a transparency - Kodachrome maybe?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

Who were "Vehicle Clearances Limited"? I was looking at the far lot and there are all sorts of cars parked there, not just Lotus related. The yard looks like a bit of a bomb site with that muddy looking dirt section - where might it be?

I was thinking about the net value if these cars, if they were found and sold off today... lots and lots.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 am

69S4 wrote:Great to have a colour photo from 'that far back' as colour prints from the 60's didn't have the best light exposure stability. Is it a print from a transparency - Kodachrome maybe?

No idea what the original was, but I suspect you're right. I just bought a print though I haven't received it yet, but I understand it's large, hence the detail.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

JonB wrote:Who were "Vehicle Clearances Limited"? I was looking at the far lot and there are all sorts of cars parked there, not just Lotus related. The yard looks like a bit of a bomb site with that muddy looking dirt section - where might it be?

I was thinking about the net value if these cars, if they were found and sold off today... lots and lots.

I guess you're looking at the works employees car park.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 pm

According to Miles Wilkins (in his Lotus Twin-Cam Engine book), the initial twin-cam engine development vehicle was a LHD Anglia (purchased from the Belgian Embasy) - LHD was required as the webers would have fouled the master cylinders in a RHD Anglia.
So, it could be that Anglia or, it could be anything!
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm

It's odd that it's on the 'works' side of the fence.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:17 pm

What a wonderful picture, shame the whining has stopped Paul from posting here...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Reminds me that the story goes that the Lotus name came from -lot unsold- written lot/us.
I have been amazed what a scanner can do in the -restore- setting abeit best done with the original.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: