Project Scruffy Thread

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:31 pm

elan-1.jpg and
grocki.jpg
grocki.jpg (45.52 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
lotus-prov.jpg and
I bought this car more than a year ago. After losing nerve and listing it for a sale here, I decided to dive in. My plan for the car is to see what it takes to get it on the road -- mechanicals only, while leaving everything else as is. The car was owned and raced extensively in Solo II by Bud Grocki, a school teacher in Worcester, Mass. The car placed third in A Stock in the 1973 National Solo II Championship in St. Louis. The car came with numerous plaques and trophies as well as time sheets. Even a speeding ticket. Based on the 1980 tags on the "Lotus-E" personalized plates, it's been off the road for some time. The car was sold through Bud's estate after he passed away in 2016. He was the original owner of the car.

I bought it sight-unseen from E-bay during a momentary lapse of reason. It needs a ton of love, but so-far things have turned out better than expected. After fiddling with the wiring and hooking up an auxiliary fuel tank, I crossed my fingers and hit the key. Fired right up! Excellent compression. Idles fantastic, which is bizarre as I didn't touch the carbs. Water pump is moving coolant. No coolant leaks, but she does drip a bit of oil. I have to assume the engine has been rebuilt.

I'm currently installing a new clutch master and slave and car will receive new brakes and lines. Then we'll see if she moves.

Rolling restoration for now, as I have no garage space to dive in as deeply as I would like. Updates to come.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Excellent! Dripping oil only means it is British. When a British car stops dripping oil, that means its empty...
One drive and I am sure you will be completely hooked.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:11 pm

"Idles fantastic, which is bizarre as I didn't touch the carbs."

Congratulations! That's great! Don't mess with them until you learn as much as you can about them.

Welcome to Elan ownership. Mine is very scruffy as well. Drive and enjoy.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 pm

knockoffnut wrote:Excellent! Dripping oil only means it is British. When a British car stops dripping oil, that means its empty...
One drive and I am sure you will be completely hooked.

LOL

Welcome to the mad house.
Rolling resto is absolutely the way to go, but I'm slightly concerned about the no garage bit. A large umbrella is better than nothing, but there are so many put-up covers that would work well.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks guys. It's going to be a while before it's on the road. One step at a time. I do have a garage to work on the car, Graeme, but it's too full of other cars, bikes, lawnmowers, etc. to allow space for a serious restoration.

Joe
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Excellent Joe! Keep us posted on progress and with pictures.
Henry
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 pm

StressCraxx wrote:"Idles fantastic, which is bizarre as I didn't touch the carbs."

Congratulations! That's great! Don't mess with them until you learn as much as you can about them.

Welcome to Elan ownership. Mine is very scruffy as well. Drive and enjoy.

Regards,
Dan Wise

Problem is, the best way to learn is to mess with them - agreed, when Webers work as they should, they are a delight.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm

Joe,

So great to hear you're doing this. This is what I had to do to my coupe, since I bought it to drive, knowing the paint was poor, but it would allow me to continue to drive an Elan.

Once its running on its own fuel tank, drive it and enjoy it. Use polishing compound on the body and you will find it very satisfying and lots of positive comments. Check the donuts as you go through the brakes.

5526 is finally in the shop I lobbied for over a year to do the job. I didn't make it in yesterday to see it before Christmas, but I was told it would be in primer, 2nd coat, by end of day yesterday. The new year will start with with 5526 back home and going back together. It already has red under the arches.

I had never seen you archive page before, so I checked and both 5525 and 5526 shipped to Duchess Auto same day on same invoice number.

Welcome back! Anything I can help with from 1500 miles away, let me know.

Roger (in Florida)
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Joe,
I too would like to offer a word of encouragement. I can assure you that the effort will be worth it once you can get on the road. Don't worry about aesthetics just yet, make her roadworthy and drive as much as you can to bond with her and let us know how it goes. We have mostly all been where you are and come through the process with joy at the end. I think you will too!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. And thanks to the board. I'm not sure how people did this stuff before the internet.

Joe
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Go for it! You?ll never regret getting your coupe road worthy and driving it for pure enjoyment.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear