Anyone going to LOG in Ohio?

PostPost by: Dadsoldcar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello all- first post in a long time (this is a new account, I'm locked out of my old one)

Is anyone here going to LOG in Ohio? Particularly, anyone going from Virginia?

I have a favor to ask.

My 84 year old dad is trailering his '64 Elan 1600 from Richmond, Va. My mom will be co-piloting, which means repeating Siri's directions, feeding him Fig Newtons and keeping him awake, but it still makes me a little nervous. I am unable to go, and he insists.

He bought the car new the week that he met my Mom, and he's very proud of it. And despite being the age at which some people are considering giving up driving altogether, he just bought new autocross tires. (And gave me his take-offs for my vintage racing MG.)

If anyone reading this is going to be there, it would give me some peace of mind to have someone there to help him take the car off of the trailer, and maybe help him change the tires before/after the autocross.

He's a quirky guy, he won't admit that he needs help, but with Mom as my cohort and the subsequent threat of no Fig Newtons on the ride home, he will accept it, and you will have my eternal gratitude.

All of this assumes that I will get the water pump rebuilt in the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance,
Tom Van Auken
Attachments
mom-and-elan-1964.jpg and
dad-and-elan-1964.jpg and
Dadsoldcar
New-tral

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Tom
What a story! I don?t think there will be any shortage of willing helpers at LOG38. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Great story! I'm not going but now I wish I were, to meet him.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:45 pm

I am thinking that this photo from LOG 30 may be your dad.
Attachments
f6302146-5e81-4c78-9ee7-223b839b322b.jpeg and
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 pm

will have to look them up!

BTW, we have so far a 4-Elan caravan going from Philly area. We're taking 2 days and a scenic leisurely ride up through Princeton, NJ, over to Allentown/Bethlehem PA, up through Jim Thorpe area, up as far as Rt6 and westward hoe. 2 or 3 of us are stopping overnight in Wellsboro, PA and 1 or 2 may continue on through to LOG.
We require only VINTAGE Lotus (so as not to be tempted to excessive highway speed driving). Leaving Thursday morning. If you want to tag along in your vintage Lotus, let us know.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm

I look forward to seeing your dad again. I will be there from Thursday to Monday.
It will be a great LOG. I can not wait to get there.
Tony Vaccaro
Lotus Ltd President
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 pm

Tom, I look forward to meeting your dad and helping as I can. It will be great to meet the other Elan owners too.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dadsoldcar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 am

Thanks, all! I feel better already.

elancoupe wrote:I am thinking that this photo from LOG 30 may be your dad.

Yes, that's Dad and Mom in his Elan!

Of course I wish that I could make it, but it's good to know that some people will be looking out.

Some particulars: He's using his open trailer, and loading/unloading takes a certain amount of getting down on the ground to fuss with the tie-downs. Also people to push/catch/spot when taking the car off the trailer will make life easy. Changing tires is pretty self-explanatory, but that won't stop him from explaining it to you.

Just go up to him or my mom (her name is Nancy) and say "Your son Tommy said to ask if you needed a hand with anything." Better yet, ask him and mom about their first date in the the RHD Elan demonstrator that Lotus Southwest lent him.

Again, thanks for the replies, and any help in advance.
Dadsoldcar
New-tral

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 am

There will be lots of people to help. One of the great things about Lotus Owners is that they're great people. See you all at LOG.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:44 am

Looking forward to meeting both of them and helping any way I can. I?m always amazed at people who bought and keep their car for their entire lives.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Oh man, I sure wish I could go!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 pm

I wish I was going too. Your mom is a trooper. My wife has yet to ride in the elan after 15 years of ownership. She keeps stating something about the VP doesn't ride in Air Force One. I have only been stuck a couple of times and never towed (although a tow truck did drive behind me once in case the wheel I repaired roadside fell off), but she remembers them all with great clarity. Good luck on the trip all. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 pm

From the looks of things, many Elans will be there. It's not too late, people. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Tommy ,

I wish i was going as I would love to reconnect with your dad and would have been more than happy to help get the car sorted for him.

Elan-Dot-netters, please make sure you stop by and visit Tom ( and make sure he has some helping hands ). I met Tom in the early days of my ?lan fascination and he was super helpful on elans and other life matters .

Regards

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 am

Tom,
I saw your mom and dad arrive and putz around. after the evening reception, at dusk, I found your dad with tail gate lifted and approached him. of course he would attempt unloading the car after the evening events were over and people thinned out. I quickly introduced myself and said you had placed a forum post for us to keep a look out for and help where possible. He was most gracious and allowed me to unstrap the tie-downs, pull ramps out of the truck and set up. For being 84 years old, he is quite determined, yet spry enough to jump up over the trailer fender (not being able to open the Elan door) to enter the car to start up and backed off. He took it for a spin while I (and then some others came by) chatted with your mom some more. They are quite a pair and an amazing story of an original one owner car, where they courted each other, and have continued to this day to trailer and show their beloved S1 Elan. I was shocked to hear that he wants to autocross the car on Sunday and will be changing over a full set of tires as well. Hopefully some others will be available at this event to help out (i'm not going the AC).
I just hope I will still love and drive my Lotus Elan when i'm 84 !!!!! :)
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: