"Lotus elan is better than a Mc Laren F1"

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm

When someone says the "Lotus elan is better than a Mc Laren F1", even the most loyal of you would say or think... Bollocks!
But when Gordon Murray says it then you take notice.
3.19 into interview

https://youtu.be/eqCGqooGfWc
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 am

Interesting he's not got a 7, i agree you can't get much better driving feel than an elan but the F1 was built to be some thing very different.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am

Is that a photo of a 7 or a Mallock on the wall? Nice to see an Elite in there as well.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:38 am

holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:16 am

Grizzly
I disagree, When the elan was designed and first built. It was built for exactly the same reasons an F1 was designed and built. The only difference is evolved technology engineering and time.
Last edited by holywood3645 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Listening carefully, I think he was just talking about the steering.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:18 pm

So the credit needs to go to Standard Triumph.

Apart from lock stops,( and woudn't it be cool if the Elan had the same turning circle!) what else is different?

Unless the track and wheelbase are identical to the Spitfire, or the steering arms are unique, then the Ackermann angle will be incorrect.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 pm

I would have to agree if the comparison was car to car. I am sure of you own a F1, every other car just does not match up or compare to the F1. For me it was the same for the Elan when I drove my first one back in1971. And it stayed that way till I got my Elise. I feel the same way about the Elise. At least that is how it is for me.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Even then the question is, are we comparing raw performance, or something more subjective? Tony, I suspect that you're thinking in terms of the latter. I'm reminded of a comparison-test I read a few years ago in which the magazine tested an Evora, a high-spec Corvette, a high-spec Porsche, and a Nissan GTR. The results were interesting: while by the numbers the Nissan was the clear winner and the Evora was dead-last, the writers all agreed that the Evora was the clear winner in terms of driver satisfaction. And driving on public roads in the real world, I think that that's the most important thing to all of us.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 am

Yes, I mean subjective enjoyment which after watching the interview I think that is what Gordon was referring to. I don't think he was talking just about the steering. Elana are clearly his favorite car.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 am

Yes, I mean subjective enjoyment which after watching the interview I think that is what Gordon was referring to. I don't think he was talking just about the steering. Elana are clearly his favorite car.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:25 am

holywood3645 wrote:Grizzly
I disagree, When the elan was designed and first built. It was built for exactly the same reasons an F1 was designed and built. The only difference is evolved technology engineering and time.

How do you figure? The Elan was built to fund CC's racing, it was designed as a mass producible sports car. On the other hand the F1 was built to be at example of Mclaren's technology, it was built with no expense spared and arguably the first Hypercar.

So today the Elan would be say a 911 GT3 and the F1 would be a P1.

As above Murray was just trying to get his point about weight and steering feel across.

Gordon Murray, the McLaren F1 was ?an attempt to build the best engineered driver?s car ever made.?

It was an attempt that clearly succeeded? according to F1 owner and serial car collector Jay Leno, it is simply ?the Greatest Car of the 20th Century.?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:11 am

I'd go along with that, although I've not driven one.

You do know that GM hates the boot latch? Says it was a bodge, clunky, heavy, not well engineered. So McClaren didn't get everything right..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 am

JonB wrote:I'd go along with that, although I've not driven one.

You do know that GM hates the boot latch? Says it was a bodge, clunky, heavy, not well engineered. So McClaren didn't get everything right..

But he said it was an [b]attempt[b] to build the best engineered drivers car ever made.

the reason that he is so good is that he recognises he can always do better next time.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood you and you mean that Murrays input was the conceptual design and that Maclaren were responsable for the minor d?tails?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Chancer wrote:
JonB wrote:I'd go along with that, although I've not driven one.

But he said it was an [b]attempt[b] to build the best engineered drivers car ever made.

the reason that he is so good is that he recognises he can always do better next time.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood you and you mean that Murrays input was the conceptual design and that Maclaren were responsable for the minor d?tails?

'Originally a concept conceived by Gordon Murray, he convinced Ron Dennis to back the project and engaged Peter Stevens to design the exterior and interior of the car.' According to Wiki......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1

Lets face it when you put 620hp in a car weighing 1100kg with no assists it's going to be a handful.

It's going to be interesting to see what the modern day equivalent F1 teams (Mercedes and Redbull) come up with this time around, will their cars be as big a leap forward as the F1 was back in the 90's.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: