1966 S3 Gauge cluster

PostPost by: LYTEBRITE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello! I am new to the board but have had encouraging correspondence with Brian Buckland and others.

I?m restoring an S3 that currently has VDO gauges and the wrong switches. I wanted to see if any board members knew of a gauge cluster and switches I could purchase. I would need all of the gauges and switches.

I have been in communication with Speedy Cables to no avail. Quite frustrating really.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Wyndham
Attachments
img_3391-2.jpg
Hello from California
img_3391-2.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
image1.jpg and
Ugly dash
LYTEBRITE
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Welcome!

Gauges are scarce, they turn up on eBay from time to time, but sadly they are generally not inexpensive.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LYTEBRITE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you for the reply. My understanding is that I can source a smiths gauges from another vehicle more and have the dials redone. Any thoughts?
LYTEBRITE
New-tral

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Speak to someone at Nisonger Instruments. They are near you in Mamaroneck.
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LYTEBRITE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:32 pm

thank you!
LYTEBRITE
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 am

Actually, the smaller of the two Smiths gauges are standard on most British cars. The fuel gauge and the Oil/ temp gauge could be taken directly from an Austin-Healey Sprite. In fact, many years ago, I traded my original Elan gauge (called a safety gauge) for one from a Sprite in order to get an identical gauge but that the Elan gauge had a max of 60 psi oil pressure, and I had fitted the kit to the oil pump to boost pressure from 40 to 60 psi, so I wanted the 100psi scale on the Sprite gauge.

The tach and speedo will take a bit more search, as the tach scale is 8k while most common uses are for 7k. The speedo will be calibrated for the vehicles axle ratio, tire size etc. There is a number on the speedo face which is cable revs and you could probably find something very close. I have an old Nisonger catalog back in Ohio which lists cable revs for the cars listed.

Lucas switches, other than the window switches are pretty common. Other controls such as heater and choke will require some good searching. I do have some Lucas data sheets with me down here I'd be able to share.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 am

I have a professionally refurbished tach from a 1969 elan. its a 100%
pm me, but it was quite expensive to return to uk for refurb.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:07 am

I'm building an S2 and have sourced all original gauges through ebay and members here over the course of a year or so. They do come up. Get some pictures of an original dash from a car close to your build date and use that and the Buckland and the Robinshaw publications to check it's the right one. I saw an 'original' speedo on ebay that had a refurbed dial by speedycables and for the anal amongst us it was apparent the numbers were placed a minuscule out from where they should have been in relation to the speed indicator marks. It depends on how exacting you which to be.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:59 am

I really like the look of your dashboard! (ducks head awaiting incoming)

There was a time when it would have been seen as a very desirable upgrade, I bet the guages work better, hope they were correctly calibrated.

I have learned, albeit may years too late that whenever I do "upgrades" which may well in the course of time be seen as downgrades, to keep and store the original parts, think how many Elan air filter housings have been binned when sports filters have been fitted and what they are worth today!!!

I have a complete dashboard, instruments and full wiring loom stored from my 1987 Caterham 7, its already very rare inasmuch as a complete assembly and will only become rarer, I might also use it to go back to original.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:14 pm

just spotted these! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/0tis72/m.html ... 7675.l2562

hmm not sure that link worked. There is a seller on ebay.co.uk selling a bunch of gauges. seller name is otis72.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I have several gauges available for sale, not sure which ones you need or are specific to your application.
see here at this link: http://www.taylormadeclassiccars.com/parts.html
thanks for looking.
TED
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LYTEBRITE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for the leads, tips!
LYTEBRITE
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Ted,

Those gauges are for a S4 or later Elan or perhaps a +2S. He needs the earlier style gauges for a S3.
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:47 pm

i assumed so, but what about the Speedometer and Rev counter? can you pin point what they go to?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 am

Hi,
Although Smiths gauges the Speedo & Rev counter will be the most difficult to source if you want to have an original cluster.
Oil pressure (100psi) & Water temperature (110C) dual gauge are being reproduced and should not be problem. If a used gauge check the Water temp for operation.
Fuel gauge, S3 original gauge and tank unit/sender, especially the tank unit, will be a real problem, if you can find an original they are 50yrs old and very likely to need some serious refurbishment. My view would be to go for the later gauge and sender (S4) much easier to find.
Rev counter slightly unusual in FSD is 8000 and has red sector only, Original S3 will be for Positive earth car. Dial has indicator lamps for Light High/main beam (Blue) and Ignition warning (Red)
Speedo correct FSD is 140 MPH and has a single Turn signal indicator, (orange). Has both Total miles & Trip recorder. Calibration, 1000 revolution?s per mile.
Ron.
PS. Rev counter in Ad looks correct, Speedo wrong. 2nd pic of fuel gauges, centre bottom gauge looks correct.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: