45/6714 Build Progress

PostPost by: PC777 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Hello fellow Elan enthusiasts, just thought I would post an update on my progress for the rebuild of 45/6714.

I have reached what I hope is the ? way point in the rebuild and although it's been slow it is at least progressing in the right direction.

Would be interested in peoples comments.

I have fitted the carburetors with a view to test running the new reconditioned engine before the body goes on.

The body work is the next step in the restoration as it is in a very sorry state.

I have test fitted it to the chassis and marked out all the mounting points ready to drill/tap but am thinking that it might be worth waiting until the body has been repaired to check again as some of the mount points might move slightly.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe up coming holiday season.

Regards to all

Paul
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:54 am

I love a well built naked Elan chassis as much as the other well built naked thing I like :lol: !!!

Build looks like its going well

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:19 pm

PC777 wrote:
I have fitted the carburetors with a view to test running the new reconditioned engine before the body goes on.

Good idea! A lot easier to deal with issues now, than with a nicely restored body over it.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Just looks so wonderful. And clean!

I think it's going to be a right hooker (correct?). If so I'd try to trim an inch or so off the fuel line feeding the front carb so it tucks in closer to the carb. That area gets very congested what with rad bottom hose, headlight vacuum hose, heater hose, coil etc. You need to manage that space as efficiently as you can because that's your access to the brake and clutch MCs without the faff of removing the airbox (gets pretty old every time you want to check the brake fluid levels).

If the body comes up as well as the "go bits" you're going to have a cracker.

Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm

I went back through one of your earlier posts and I see that you were considering a replacement chassis from Spyder, their folded sheet copy of the Lotus product rather than their own square tube version. Is that what you ultimately chose? I ask because I notice the length of the spindles for attaching the inboard ends of the front control arms is quite long compared to the standard provided by Lotus. Is this the same removable spindles that Spyder uses with their square tube frames?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi and thanks for your comments.

Steve, I would have liked the fuel lines to be a lot tighter, i.e. the line from the pump could have been shorter and the line to the front carby also, however I purchased the braided set from SJ in the UK and I am unable to modify them without the correct tools.

And yes I did end up going with a Spyder chassis and the front spindles are removable.
The car is a Right Hand Drive example.

Next job is to work out what lubricants to use any ideas for EP90 (steering rack & front uprights) for example as this does not appear to be made any longer.

Thanks again guys.

Paul
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 am

Paul
Grease the rack and trunnions IMHO
but then there is the semi fluid grease advocates and then the "it will all seize up if you don't use EP90 oil" advocates . All valid opinions and they all work.

I am currently debating at my work with a couple of maintenance managers where one plant lubricates the rollers on a rotary dryer with an oil drip feed and another plant lubricates exactly the same item with an extremely heavy and thick grease manually applied. They both work but which is best for the overall ease of use, safety and consistent application --- the oil is a clear winner in this case !

Grease is a clear winner for the Elan ( again IMHO)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 pm

rgh0 wrote:Grease the rack and trunnions IMHO
but then there is the semi fluid grease advocates and then the "it will all seize up if you don't use EP90 oil" advocates . All valid opinions and they all work.

Ah, I see Rohan believes it's time for a good fight. These worms haven't seen daylight in a good while. :twisted:
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: