Elan S3 toolkit

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:15 pm

I've been offered a toolkit. What should it contain for this period car, and what sort of value?
( Hopefully this won't start a row over what it should contain :D )
Thanks.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:09 pm

The kit for sale in Texas currently looks right, Malcolm. I will photograph my kit tomorrow if you need specifics.

lotus-parts-f33/tool-kit-t38251.html

Although they were pretty cheap and nasty tools, each of which should be able to be bought for 10p, the complete kit in good condition in a decent original tool roll can fetch anything from ?60 to ?150 or so.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:42 am

Here's my original tool kit:
examine-017-001.jpg and

here's one I found for sale at the world renown Hershey, PA, USA car show & flea market. Price = $360
show-015.jpg and

CRAZY!!!!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Mark and Ted.
What sizes are the scanners?
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:47 am

I have most of the parts in scattered around having been gathered from various vehicles over the years.

The adjustable wrench is in the bottom of my day to day building electrical and DIY toolbox and gets used from time to time, the pliers I definitely have in another toolbox just cant recall where.

The screwdriver looks identical to one that came with the meccano that I had as a child, perhaps its larger but does not look like its up to much and most will have been thrown away in disgust I would have thought.

The spanners I probably have all of them although I recall some are stamped "enfo" (Ford), I probably also have the box spanner also, I never throw Tools away but they get downgraded to lesser used toolboxes in other locations.

Time to have a gather up methinks so I would also like to know the spanner sizes.

I'll probably offer them all for sale but the adjustable wrench has become an old favorite, anything in my main toolbox has to earn its position, it has to be light, compact and performant it is all of those, a very good tool indeed out of place with all the other mickey mouse stuff in the original toolkit.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:54 pm

I've just had a look, and this is the content of my most complete set:

3 open ended spanners:
1 9/16 AF and 1 /2 AF with 'Superslim' on one side, and T/W on the other, where the T is over the W. That side also has Made In England cast.
1x 7/16 AF and 3/8 AF with same names as above.
1x 2BA and 4BA, just with the T/W on one side

1x pair of pliers, with Made in England cast on each handle, and the T over W mark

1x screwdriver, which does indeed look like something from a Meccano set. No markings

1x adjustable spanner, with Made In England on one side, and Snail Brand and a snail on the other. Very cute.

1x Tube plug spanner, no markings

1x Tube plug spanner bar with mushroomed end, no markings.

A quick look on ebay and there are quite a few of the 7 inch adjustable spanners for sale for a tenner or so. E.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SNAIL ... Sw2GlXDXLy

Mark
Attachments
dsc_0001a.jpg and
dsc_0002a.jpg and
dsc_0002b.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm not able to check but the tool kit has its own page and illustration of content in the Elan Parts book, near the end.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Just had a look Tim, and the set is as above.

Plus of course the jack, jack handle, hammer (for knock-off) big hex spanner (for Federal Wheel nut) or presumably a wheel nut spanner for bolt-on wheels.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:08 pm

trw99 wrote:I'm not able to check but the tool kit has its own page and illustration of content in the Elan Parts book, near the end.

Tim

It's in the incomplete Wiki on this very site :)

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/TA_-_Tool_Kit
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:35 pm

The brace for bolt-on wheels is a substantial forged piece. The socket is a little sloppy and the handle short, but I do carry it in the car for emergency use. I'd be happy to take a photo, but its in the boot of the Super Safety 900 miles away, waiting for me to enjoy it this winter.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Looks like I have the full set of the correct brand/size tools, with the exception of the box spanner and the roll itself.

I also have an old copper head hammer for the centre locks, which Iooks like a Thor brand, which I think is correct?(It came from my late father's workshop, and he had an S2 Elan in the 1960s, so I guess it is an original).
Malcolm.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:02 pm

This thread has prompted to look at the tools that came with my plus 2. I had always assumed that they were just a random bunch of tools left behind by a previous owner, they were just wrapped in an old rag & were in the bottom of the boot (trunk for our friends across the pond) amongst the many old bits & pieces of the car. (It was an unfinished project) Anyway, I have a few 'extras', but in amongst it all is everything contained in the above lists & pictures minus the roll, even a tyre pressure gauge, not working, of course. In the spanners, I have all mentioned plus a matching TW 7/16? ? 1/2?AF, could this be original or just something that was added in the years prior to my ownership? Also my adjustable has no Snail brand markings, in fact it has no manufacturer markings at all, just ?Made in England?. Some internet research (ebay :) ) has shown the same adjustable in a Triumph TR tool kit, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191995908476? ... 1436.l2649 & a listing for another claiming to be from an Austin Healey 100/4 tool kit, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371770769951? ... 1436.l2649 & also a 9? version that looks identical but has the TW branding. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371765447720? ... 1436.l2649
If mine & the ebay offerings are TW, it would tie up with the rest of the tools in the kits, but strange no logo?
Is this just natural progression due to availability, Lotus getting a better deal by buying everything from the one source, or do I just have a rogue replacement? :?
Having all, or most of the correct tools, it would be nice to get a replica roll to put them all in, does anybody know of a source for such a thing? Or could someone lucky enough to still have a good one give some dimensions & detailed photo's showing the design & type of material etc & I'll look in to getting one made, I think I know just the person for the job. Anyone else interested?

Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:11 pm

The tool roll material (hardura with a hessian inner) has long been unavailable. I do know however that one of our members has commissioned a short run of both the early and late types. It has been a very expensive exercise. I'll not say anymore but I will direct him to this thread and perhaps he'll comment further.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: originalsprint » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:05 am

To say, sourcing, grading, matching and producing the correct materials was a challenge and horrendously expensive is to immeasurably understate the procedure and challenge! However I now have two types of the material ready to go. The early tool rolls had a plain hessian backing whilst the later cars S4 onwards to Sprint had a black hessian backing. Additionally, the tool rolls themselves do have variations in style and dimensions due to whoever happened to be making the tool rolls on any particular day at Lotus! However, by 2017 there should be a limited supply of both types.
originalsprint
New-tral

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:17 pm

draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: