Brian Bucklan's book: the rebuilding of a lotus Elan.

PostPost by: Dorsal Fin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:
Dorsal Fin wrote:I have a spare copy ....

How much would that be...?

John :wink:

Feel free to make an offer, either on here or by PM :?:
Dorsal Fin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

billwill wrote:It might be best to put it on one of the Print-on-Demand services then.

I agree. At the very least, people like myself would like to know credit/coin is going to the author and not an interloper. There are a lot of interlopers selling off CDs on eBay that they did not create and have no authorship rights to, and some of us would like them not to profit from the hard work of others.

Free distribution is another matter, but does punish those who paid for the book.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:16 pm

I also have a copy of Brian's excellent book that I no longer need. My Elan has gone and won't be replaced I'm sorry to say. :( I'm also open to offers - don't forget that it is a heavy book and postage would need to be included.

I also have a photocopy of the complete Elan Workshop Manual in a lever arch file, and a copy of the Elan Parts Book also in a lever arch file. All three publications relate specifically to the 2-seater car.

Offers for any of them? PM me.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Hello Gentleman,
I am very sorry that owners are searching for a copy of my book without success or even paying some of the ridiculous high prices I have seen for second hand copies. The book is totally sold out and yes at the beginning I should have printed more. However, I had no idea then that the book would be the success it has been.

It is not all bad news. I have agreed to allow a third party do a reprint but I wished to rewrite the engine section before I let the copyright go. There is now a full description of works. It is slow work not helped by all the other Lotus things I am involved with. I will be as quick as I can.

My regards to all you Elan enthusiasts. IT IS THE FINEST CAR IN THE WORLD.........

Brian Buckland
elanman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:13 pm

The good things in life are worth waiting for Brian! All the time people are waiting, searching, trading, talking it raises awareness and should ensure good sales of any future reprints.

As an aside I posted a the following photograph on a French forum, nothing to do with motor vehicles, it was about how to make use of an unwanted staircase:

Someone who must have very good eyesight replied saying "I see you are a follower of the messiah Mr Buckland" :D

That shows just how powerfull a brand image you have!!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Grizzly wrote:
Maulden7 wrote:I spoke with Brian about this at an event at Hethel a couple of months ago, & he indicated that he was considering producing a scanned copy on a CD / memory stick, but I've not heard / seen anything more since then?

That would be a massive mistake on his part if he did, i know a guy who used to make rebuild manual's for Mazda Rotarys of different series etc, it sold well as a book but as soon as it went Digital he effectively gave it away (one person put it on a web site for other members...... at that point his hard copy sales just died overnight and the knock on effect was he stopped producing the manuals). It's one thing if he does it with his eye's open for the enthusiast, but if he's using the money from sales to evolve or write other things i'm not sure it would be wise.

I for one would love to have a PDF copy of Mr. Buckland's book so I can refer to it when I am on the road (most of the time.) By making the manual available electronically you could make the "Bible" more usable by adding capabilities such as hyperlinks, word search, indexing etc.

I agree just dumping it on a DVD or memory stick without any protection would be a mistake. The files need to be protected & there are ways of doing this, but not particularly cheaply. Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a huge issue for publishers; there are products like LockLizard that stop PDF files from being copied & put the owner's name on any printouts. However a permanent license of locklizard is $5,000.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 pm

theres 100 of us= 50$ pP -------------- lets go fer it sandy 4982 a lovely bastard!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 pm

el-saturn wrote:theres 100 of us= 50$ pP -------------- lets go fer it sandy 4982 a lovely bastard!!

At current exchange rates each of those 100 should get a free copy of the new book!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 am

If anyone has a copy for sale, please let me know.

Thanks, Joe
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:02 am

Joe
There's one on your side of the pond.... :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-RE ... SwJ7RYXY6N

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm

A little rich for my blood. :cry:
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 pm

elaninfuture wrote:A little rich for my blood. :cry:

Seven sold already. What's $1500 to you rich Americans! :twisted:
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 am

[/quote]
Seven sold already. What's $1500 to you rich Americans! :twisted:[/quote]

Alas, I'm afraid you have me confused with another of my countrymen.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:17 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Joe
There's one on your side of the pond.... :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-RE ... SwJ7RYXY6N

Don't forget the $85.95 postage, after all it is a 'big' book ...
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: