Wow - ?460 for original nose badge...

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:55 am

archigator wrote:I too cracked the original enameled nose badge by overtightening on my '71 Sprint, a black badge. :x I've had it in a drawer for over 20 years, thinking one day I'll have it restored. Has anybody used these guys for enameled badge restoration? Quality? Any idea of the estimated restoration cost?

http://www.emblemagic.com/services.htm

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida

I did exactly the same as you when I overtightened my original black badge on my car in about 1969.

I would like to be wrong but I doubt the cost of re enamelling it would be worthwhile. The site you linked to give some estimated costs though.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Elanman99 wrote:
archigator wrote:I too cracked the original enameled nose badge by overtightening on my '71 Sprint, a black badge. :x I've had it in a drawer for over 20 years, thinking one day I'll have it restored. Has anybody used these guys for enameled badge restoration? Quality? Any idea of the estimated restoration cost?

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida

I did exactly the same as you when I overtightened my original black badge on my car in about 1969.

I would like to be wrong but I doubt the cost of re enamelling it would be worthwhile. The site you linked to give some estimated costs though.

Ian

When all the postage and Vat etc was added, my badge cost around ?200 to have re-enamelled. I haven't actually seen it yet but i'm told mine failed because the Chrome under the Enamel had started to lift and bubble. So it's been stripped re-plated and re-enamelled by the guys that do the badges for work and they have had it Months.

I'm not sure i'd do it again, frankly if i hadn't forgotten about it and the company just did the work thinking it was a job for the account i think i'd have just bought a Sue Miller badge for ?60, I'd live with the slight colour difference for the ?140 extra. As i say i've not seen mine yet so i'll be sick if it comes back the same as Sue Millers.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Grizzly wrote:
Elanman99 wrote:

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida

Ian

When all the postage and Vat etc was added, my badge cost around ?200 to have re-enamelled. I haven't actually seen it yet but i'm told mine failed because the Chrome under the Enamel had started to lift and bubble. So it's been stripped re-plated and re-enamelled by the guys that do the badges for work and they have had it Months.

I'm not sure i'd do it again, frankly if i hadn't forgotten about it and the company just did the work thinking it was a job for the account i think i'd have just bought a Sue Miller badge for ?60, I'd live with the slight colour difference for the ?140 extra. As i say i've not seen mine yet so i'll be sick if it comes back the same as Sue Millers.

Perhaps they'll just buy a Miller badge , send it to you and trouser the difference:D
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:58 pm

elanfan1 wrote:
Perhaps they'll just buy a Miller badge , send it to you and trouser the difference:D

If i had any sense thats what i would have done :(

I bet i know why it was so expensive....... our badge guys use the same chrome platers as us and ok it's all triple plated / really top level quality which is rare nowadays but i've never had anything cost under ?100 (same people that wanted ?500+vat to strip, repair and re-chrome 4 rim embellishers)

The way i'm justifying the cost is it will be better than a new one :roll:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

If it's any consolation, Sue probably hasn't got any in stock, certainly that was the case a couple of months or so back, & had been the case for a good while. My friend needed one for his S3, & had been waiting for Sue to get them back in stock, but with everything else done & the car back on the road, she still hadn't been able to get him one, so we used an incorrect version. When talking to Steve at SJ sports cars, he told me he had a few in stock, but when my friend tried to order one, only a few days later, he said he had just sold the last one & didn't know when they may next be in stock, both he & Sue said it depended on when another batch would be made, but at that time there was nothing on the horizon. Funny thing was, just after that the same seller listed about three on ebay, one at a time, & they all made silly money. I couldn't help thinking he had bought SJ's remaining stock & stuck them straight on the bay, making himself a healthy profit. Even the photo's he used looked identical to those on SJ's web site. :?
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:21 pm

dunclentdr wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331974008726?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone with an original badge should make sure it is tightly fixed on...

David

This ones still quite a bargain at the moment then :? , anyone care to hazard a guess at a final price ? :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381834550758? ... 1436.l2649
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am

I would have guessed somewhere lower than it's currently at :shock:
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:58 pm

here's my original (le) and a fairly old one with a chip missing - i have a original restored copy on the car --- the original is here- sandy
Attachments
dsci5431.jpg and
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 pm

I thought the mounting studs on the Elan badges were threaded so you could use a couple of nuts to mount them to to body (mine is).This one on ebay appears to have plain studs? Given it's discoloured in one corner I assume it's a painted and not an enamelled badge?

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MenBret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Hello,
I have an original but sorry looking nose badge on my 1971 sprint.
Do you think I should have it restored?
Thanks!
Vincent
Attachments
CF0EA893-686B-4293-BE90-3C3A979586A3.jpeg and
MenBret
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Vincent,
Thanks for resurrecting this old topic :D

The nose badges are the subject of much discussion. The early badges were painted (rare) later were enamel but much flatter, the font or typeface changed many times, we had black badges, gold badges and all sorts of fonts and typefaces.

I have 3 old flat enamel badges with a very narrow font/typeface, they are correct for early Elans/Cortina’s and even type 14 Elites, I sold one 4 years ago for £210, I think it was too cheap :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: