S3 Coupe Project

PostPost by: elanJack » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm new to the Forum but not to Lotus, I have owned a Plus 2 for several years but earlier this year bought a S3 from a fellow LDC member, an impulse buy now tinged with regret but it is what it is, a completely dismantled S3 and not surprisingly I had under estimated the missing bits (both quantity & cost)!
I have just realised the car will be 50 years old in March 2017, so that is my aim, a MOT, probably its first for a very long time.
I quickly decided to discard the original chassis, a decision helped by a Sydersport chassis on ebay. The body is currently in the Paintshop for repairs and a French Blue finish, and the twin cam is back from the machine shop ready for me to assemble. I am looking for someone to rebuild the differential, I have posted a reply to Al on this Forum but as a "newby" I cannot send messages, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated, especially if you have a complete S3 Coupe or a shed full of un-wanted S3 pieces!
I will be at the Silverstone Classic this Friday in my tired looking red Plus 2 with a Diff under my arm!
Attachments
img_2083.jpg and
The Starting Point
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:24 am

Hello elanJack,

it's so good to see another Elan being resurrected, I only hope you can muster all the missing parts!
Is it worth putting up a "wanted" list, in the appropriate area?
Best of luck with the rebuild, please post photographs of your progress.

best regards,

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:05 am

Welcome from a fellow owner of a tired-looking Plus 2! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanJack » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:02 pm

img_2557.jpg and
French Blue

Paint finished, now assemble Part A to Part B using the 16 bolts that are here somewhere! Sorry about the mess.
Mark, I will take you advice and post a "wanted ad", thank you.
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: S3FHC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:36 am

Hello elanJack,

That's a huge improvement over the first photograph - and the French blue really looks good! :D

Good luck with your search for the missing parts

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:45 pm

That will be fantastic. I have an S3 coupe. I think you'll love it.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanJack » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Part S back from restoration, great job Len thank you.
img_2595.jpg and
Part D also back from rebuild.
img_2612.jpg and
I didn't use Al from the Forum purely because I found someone more local (John Smirthwaite), just in case there were issues and John also provided a cylinder head service.
Winter approaches and I need the garage space, so I dropped the body on the rolling chassis fitted with a gearbox & block from another project (to check for clearance) while I rebuild the actual engine & gearbox.
img_2795.jpg and
Attachments
img_2805.jpg and
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: carrierdave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Hello ElanJack
What a lovely colour, it really suits the car. Just a quick word of advise, when the guys lift the body off, make sure they don't lift from the wheel arches.
It's very easy to crack the paintwork at this point as the fibreglass is thin, weak and rather flexible.

Good luck with the car.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: