1971 Elan Sprint: looking for original engine number

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am the happy new owner of this great little car :P . The original chassis number was 71.04.10.0246.E, at some time it was replaced by a Spyder chassis. I still need to look for the engine number on the block/cam cover. I am trying to find the original engine number for this car but my list ends with 0172.E (1970). Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Bart

P.S. not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask this type of question.
Attachments
fdd551c185-Elan Sprint-DSCF5026.JPG and
Last edited by Bart Jan van der Ceelen on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:12 pm

It's not on the Lotus plate under the hood (bonnet)?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:17 pm

I forgot to mention that the registration plate does not mention the engine number, see picture below.
Attachments
DSC_0143.JPG and
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I expect Tim will be along shortly and give you the number that should be fitted. Have you checked the number above the engine mount on exhaust side?

What are all the other badges on the car, no offence intended but looks to my eye a bit much with the sprint colours, sun roof and the green stripe too. Your car your choice obviously.?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:49 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I expect Tim will be along shortly and give you the number that should be fitted. Have you checked the number above the engine mount on exhaust side?

What are all the other badges on the car, no offence intended but looks to my eye a bit much with the sprint colours, sun roof and the green stripe too. Your car your choice obviously.?

Lotus Fashion Police :lol:

Welcome to the forum! :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Records for Elans from unit 0172 through to 0501 were destroyed in a flood at Hethel in the late 1970s. I am afraid you will therefore never know what your correct original engine number was and neither will Andy Graham at Lotus be able to tell you.

It is also clearly going to be no use looking at your current engine, which was fitted by a PO and came out of a Plus 2; it is in fact one of the very last Twin Cams built. What you could do is ask Leicestershire Record Office, Long Street, Wigston Magna, LE8 2AH Tel +44 116 257 1080 if they have the full vehicle details for car registered YRY 969J which was the original mark for your car, issued on 5 May 1971. It is likely that the car came from Roger Clarke Cars dealership in Narborough.

Your VIN plate lacks the engine number and colour code because, in all likelihood, it was bought in component form. The original number would have been in the N24### series.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:43 pm

He shoots, he scores!

Nice one Tim -well done.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks - the anorak is on!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. The knowledge of the people here is really unsurpassed.

@Elanfan1: the badges are stickers attached by the PO, one of my first jobs will be trying to remove these without causing any damage to the paint. Same for the green stripe with is a sticker as well (and not painted as I originally feared).

@Tim: Your reply is very helpful and it all makes a lot more sense to me now. I am just puzzled about one remark though. You mentioned that the engine must have been taken from a Plus 2? If the car was bought in component form could it not have included an "original" engine? Were the engines fitted to Plus2's, Sprints and Europas not actually the same at that point in time? I will try the Leicestershire Record Office and if I learn anything interesting will share it here.

Many thanks!

Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:51 pm

"I am just puzzled about one remark though. You mentioned that the engine must have been taken from a Plus 2?"

Bart, your engine prefix letter is P, which indicates that it was first fitted to a Big Valve Plus 2 Elan. The correct engine prefix for a Domestic Sprint is N and that is what your car would have first come with from the factory, hence my indication that it would likely have been in the N24### series number.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Bart I know a guy who does vinyls for a living. i suspect he'd say just be careful use a heat gun sparingly and get some soapy water behind them as soon as they start lifting. If you want me to ask him for any tips let me know.

Some nice before and after photos would be brilliant.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Steve,

Yes i could use some advise on how to remove the stickers. I was not planning on using a heat gun at all. The soapy water suggestion could work. Will post a few before/after pics when i will find some time to work on the car. Sadly that wont be before xmas.

Thanks, Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:50 am

3M's trim/adhesive remover works well to soften and remove most adhesives and does not damage paint. Here in the US it can be found at most automotive paint stores.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:28 pm

I used my wife's hair dryer to remove some protective film off another car. It worked nicely and was not hot enough to damage anything. Marginally hotter than leaving the car out on a UK sunny day in the middle of Summer but enough to soften the film and the glue...

No, I din't tell her either :-)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:37 pm

A few updates:

Stickers and green stripe removal:
After soaking in a bit of soapy water for a few minutes the stickers came off quite well. Just a few specks of paint from the boot lid was damaged. Overall very happy with the results.

Engine number:
Finally found it on the inlet side engine mount: P31721. Indeed as suggested yhe "P" prefix means it was from a +2S130.

First impressions driving the car:
Took the car for a great little spin in the Dutch December Spring with open sunroof. Handles very well, much better than my previous +2.
Attachments
stickers-removed.jpg and
stickers-removed-2.jpg and
stickers-removed-3.jpg and
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: