Stop "Baby Elan"

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm

ok the petulant kid in me is saying if I didn't use the term before I will now......
with such a childish topic treat it as a child.......

really........

the banter has gone......

you'll be getting upset at me driving in loafers next.......

FFS
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:45 pm

I mean really, who cares ??

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:15 pm

toomspj wrote:I mean really, who cares ??

Paul

Personally I don't, but, judging by some of the posts in this & other threads on the subject, quite a few do. Is that not in it's self a good enough reason to avoid the phrase?

In a similar way, our neighbors have a daughter who's name is Georgina, which inevitably gets shortened to Georgie, I think she actually prefers it & that is how I had always referred to her. However, a while back her mum, shall we say 'explained' that she had named her daughter Georgina, if she had wanted her called Georgie that is what she would have named her! Now knowing this, & despite even members of her family calling her Georgie, I always refer to her as Georgina when talking to her mum, it seems only courteous, & I wouldn't wish to deliberately upset anyone.

No matter how trivial something may seem, if you know it's going to wind someone up, is it not better to just avoid going there?

That said, I do enjoy a good 'debate' :lol: :lol:
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I own a fat, enlarged, covered, obese, etc... etc.... Elan +2 :lol:

On some of my previous posts, I referred to the original Elan (always will be the original model but NOT the only Elan produced) as a "baby Elan", not by ignorance or way of demining the car but as an affectionate term and if by doing so I've offended any of the original Elan owners then I am sorry. Should I apologise over it? I don't think so because it was meant with no harm whatsoever. As a mark of respect I'll try not to do it again though...

There is a new thread about how great this site is and I totally agree with that statement. Shouldn't we just be a big happy family celebrating each of its siblings for what they are, even if referring to them by an affectionate nickname once in a while?

Tournesol
an emigrated Arrogant Frog in the land of the Beefeaters Bulldogs who will be at Brands Hatch celebrating ALL Lotus Models on the 15/16th of August
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seriouslylotus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 pm

toomspj wrote:I mean really, who cares ??

Paul

That sums it up nicely Paul...
I have just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this thread that I will never get back :cry:
seriouslylotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 pm

for those of you who don't care,how can I urge you toward the non baby side of not caring? 8) :D
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 pm

I won't (and haven't ever ) used the b word to describe the Elan. I used to get upset when people referred to my racing Kart as a Go-Kart. Then I realised it was only my personal insecurity that was getting in the way and I got over it.

I mean, most of us are too old and large to be taken seriously squeezing into a car that looks to most normal people like something that Big Ears (dubious friend of Noddy for those that didn't experience it in their youth) might have coveted.

I don't mind what they think or call it as it is simply a brilliant piece of Engineering that is great fun to own and drive.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Back in the early 70s, every Lotus parts desk I ever came across had the standard first question "baby or plus 2"
What a silly thing to get so upset about

Ray s4 fhc
Attachments
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:52 am

Ray, do you mind if I use this photo on another forum? They're posting baby photos, I think they need to be schooled! :wink:

Strangely enough, I think I'm becoming a little less fussed by the use of baby. Talk of our own insecurities got me thinking about my insecurities.
I was never tall as a kid, I'm not tall now , I guess I get riled up when people make a deal about people's height. I think this is related.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:59 am

After re-torquing my head I've had a bottle of wine to celebrate so apologies...

English is ambiguous. Sunflower oil is made from sunflowers but baby oil isn't from babies it's for babies.

So I propose the +2 is called the baby Elan as it's for the family man :lol: I'll get my coat.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:29 am

Dgym
I feel we've met elsewhere!
Please feel free to use the photo to educate those mx5 people(send me a link?)
Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:47 am

has anyone heard from 'jimcast'...?
he started it and seems to have gone awol......
I think its called baiting.......... :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:16 am

So few people in this part of the World even know what an ?lan is that the chance of "baby" being attached to it is rather remote.
Besides, I've always thought that prefacing a name with "baby" means you're talking about the lesser version of something. "Baby" Ferrari, "baby" Rolls etc.
So, to be pedantically correct, wouldn't an ?lan be a "baby +2" ?

Not a particularly serious thing to worry about though is it, especially as Summer is on the way and I have a proper, full sized, ?lan.....

Ralph.
N.Z.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Ok, so is it Elan or ?lan then? :-)

Spot the Apple/IOS users with autocorrect ...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Nooooooooo, don't you start :shock: :lol: :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)