26/R: the quest

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:27 pm

For what it is worth and I am sure it is not the same people, there is still a Dutchess auto dealership in that area. Reason is that is also the name of the county where the dealerships were located.

Hence it probably was with the T.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Digressing a little, but still on the subject of misrepresented 26R Elans.

A few weeks back I was on Jersey to watch the sprint & hill climbs organised as part of the International Motoring festival run in St Helier. This is for pre-1972 cars only (I had hoped to compete in my 1965 S2 Elan but my earlier accident at Castle Combe prevented this) & one of the two Elans entered was described as a 26R, & entered appropriately.

This is a "MSA event", & the scrutineering took place on the Friday afternoon, so I made a point of being around whilst this took place. The 26R Elan was presented, & a more immaculate & beautifully prepared S2 model could not be possible. A wonderful Elan, however with the bonnet off I was able to look around whilst the scrutineers were employed elsewhere, & a quick check of the VIN plate showed a 36/etc chassis number. It was a S3 Elan that had been immaculately built from the V5 up (with lots & lots obviously spent with Tony Thompson - my own S2 Elan is built to what is close to a 26R spec)

Now this would obviously never fool a potential "26R buyer", but it did pass the MSA scrutineers & was always described by the PA commentators as a 26R Elan. I wonder how many more scrutineers around the world are fooled on a regular basis by such cars?
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 pm

from the looks of the number around I would think 3000 :lol: :lol: ever notice whenever the question of document authenticity comes up the same people jump to defend the lists??ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 pm

as we?ve been educated: only value matters: let?s look at a 65 gto ferrari, or many a buggati - HOWEVER we R the real freaks! and connaiseurs! so none of us care --------- and in historic racing in tight corners: look at the gear elans pass on the inside or outside ---------------------------------------- tx colin sandy from the alps --- not driving for 31 days ------------------------------------------------------------- due to disregarding the law :twisted:
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:12 pm

oh ..sorry dude ?bin there ?darn Clerk of the Course ?.and he was [is]my buddy?got hit in a corner called
in for rough driving told them ?I dont have a dissapear button my car ? didnt matter ..ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:43 pm

el-saturn wrote:as we?ve been educated: only value matters: let?s look at a 65 gto ferrari, or many a buggati - HOWEVER we R the real freaks! and connaiseurs! so none of us care --------- and in historic racing in tight corners: look at the gear elans pass on the inside or outside ---------------------------------------- tx colin sandy from the alps --- not driving for 31 days ------------------------------------------------------------- due to disregarding the law :twisted:

Been sharing Ed's medication or too much cheese and wine?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:37 pm

The photo's on the link provided appear to be of two different cars as the steering wheel change! If you look at the rear 3/4 photo it shows what seems to be std Elan wheel with holes, the interior shot shows race wheel!

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:47 pm

HI Tuco,
Tony Thompson is the man to talk to as the Historic Lotus 26R registrar.

As a 26R S2 owner (with factory to present ownership provence) all I can say is they are an amazing car to drive, I took years to find and buy one, restored it and race it! Light amazingly responsive and a car that requires time behind the wheel to get the best out of it!!

Happy to help out in any way if you find one in Australia asI know the history of all local 26R's

I hope you find the right car and enjoy it as it was meant to be, on the race track!

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 pm

vstibbard wrote:HI Tuco,...........
Tony Thompson is the man to talk to as the Historic Lotus 26R registrar......
Cheers
Vaughan

Not sure that everyone in the Historic Lotus Register is too comfortable with a situation where the "Registrar" is also a, sometimes irascible, bloke who makes a living from selling 26/R parts and not answering questions, when it suits him. Just saying...
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:54 am

well put Pete ..ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: