26/R: the quest

PostPost by: tuco » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 am

Hi all
New on this forum and for sure a future elan enthousiast
For the one who wonder, i precise that i already introduced myself in the proper section but can't find my post :mrgreen:

To make a long story short i have been racing a jag E Type in historic racing for the past 7 years, and am about to change my ride for an elan.
The point is that i want a genuine 26r
Not easy quest
i may have find one.... claimed by the seller to be one, but the car has few history etc.... and is located far away east side of the world
Beside fotos of the car which seems to show a 26r car, i have a chassis number: 26-s2-23
It seems it is a registered 26r chassis (by enthousiast) but claimed to be a 1965 car in danemark, and the seller says its is a 1964 which begin its life in US then imported in uk at time he bought it in 1978
Does any one knows anything of 26r with that chassis located in japan since 1978?
tuco
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:32 pm

check out the 26r section of the site ?you should find some one willing to sell you one of the 4000 surviving cars of the origial 98 built ?.ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Have you talked with Tony Thompson in the UK? I believe he runs a 26R register

Contact info:

Tony Thompson Racing
Shoby Lodge, Shoby
Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire
LE14 3PF
UK

TEL: (44)-(01664) 812454
Fax: (24hrs) +44 (0) 1664 - 813192
EMAIL: [email protected]
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tuco » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm

twincamman wrote:check out the 26r section of the site ?you should find some one willing to sell you one of the 4000 surviving cars of the origial 98 built ?.ed

Good idea, with the proper documents in period proving it is genuine 26r?
:mrgreen:
tuco
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tuco » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:49 pm

pharriso wrote:Have you talked with Tony Thompson in the UK? I believe he runs a 26R register

Contact info:

Tony Thompson Racing
Shoby Lodge, Shoby
Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire
LE14 3PF
UK

TEL: (44)-(01664) 812454
Fax: (24hrs) +44 (0) 1664 - 813192
EMAIL: [email protected]" target="_blank

Thx , i was about to do that but wanted to check with you guys if i can get some infos before.....
tuco
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Copy_of_P1010049.jpg and
ok HERE WE GO AGAIN ???after 4 years of searching for information on my car I find mine number s2 33 may be from Cambridge motors in Monteral ?according to Peter Kieth a well known racer and ex Brit and owner of Cambridge motor ,the importer to Quebec , , the blue and black top was the race colours of the team ??.it was since painted yellow bue powder blue paint is visable here and there . there was a 26R built from a kit with LHD for a customer from there accordingto Peter Kieth but they have no records either as does Sports Cars Unlimited according to Bill BRack the past owner before the were bankruped . It may have been bought by Willy Goblitsen from Toronto and raced at Mosport as there were 3 or 4 26R cars raced here .they were only built in 1963 and 64 with closr to 100 built about 93 or so . the special equipment list was extensive sliding spline rear end.. diff cooler and pump .. plated chassis in front and plated shock mounts front ..rear swaybar .. s2 had glassed in head lights and flares .. mini light wheels one wiper for the wind screen able to take 205 x 13 tires and so on my letter to Lotus confirmed no surviving records for the cars .But some have been found buried in the pyramids and deep in caves and in various mysterious places in the world . When you research it you will find some unscruplous types claim discovery and ownership of these lists . ,,, you are looking at a sizable investment here and lots of people will tell you the car belonged to Napolean to sell it to you so ,,,,,BEWARE ,,and no mine is not for sale EVER ,..Ill sit back now and wait for the ;experts to pontificate ,ed
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

as mine arrived
jenny and paul wedding 022.jpg and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 pm

the RHD Cambridge coloured 26r a tMosport..I have no idea what the aero dynamics added at the back did?.ed
Attachments
Mosport%203-2.JPG
Mosport%203-2.JPG (76.13 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:16 pm

tuco

It's my understanding that car was first delivered to the US in mid 1965.

Good luck with your quest!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tuco » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 pm

trw99 wrote:tuco

It's my understanding that car was first delivered to the US in mid 1965.

Good luck with your quest!

Tim

Yes it seems it was a Duchess auto import, accto seller
the pb is that i have trouble finding any history in period which certifes it's a genuine 26r
Other pb is that it seems there is no register form of the car (not road legal at that point) and nor HTP .....
as said, what i found as infos was claiming that this chassis registration is a 1965 (and not 1964) which is now in Danemark, and not in Japan since 1978 as seller claims..... not easy :)
tuco
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Duchess was the U.s. importer be care ful many old racer Elans have been passed of as original R cars .just because they have race equipment does not make them as claimed . ARBrakes are a step in right direction but these could have been added later ....it's real a crap shoot .....I would look to a big Healy or something easier to be sure it's genuine ....Ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tuco » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm

twincamman wrote:Duchess was the U.s. importer be care ful many old racer Elans have been passed of as original R cars .just because they have race equipment does not make them as claimed . ARBrakes are a step in right direction but these could have been added later ....it's real a crap shoot .....I would look to a big Healy or something easier to be sure it's genuine ....Ed

i just raced for the first time in my life a Big healey at the 4 hours in donington.
its a fun car, kind of powerfull but to be honest i'll say effcient for a 1950's era car
i want something more modern, and would like a very light car, but not an open car, i need a roof :) (so no XI)
And a 26r can compet almost every where in europe: tour auto; Sixties endurance; master's series; Mans classic, and maybe goodwood TT..........
tuco
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:51 pm

I wouldn't buy a 26r without Tony Thompsons approval of the provenance, to much money to risk it! Check with him to see if he knows any legit cars for sale.
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:23 pm

tuco wrote:i just raced for the first time in my life a Big healey at the 4 hours in donington...........

So you've just started racing & you want to take a car worth over GBP100,000 on the track?

You either have a lot of money or a big pair of balls. :mrgreen:

I started racing about 4 years ago in a series called "24 hours of lemons" & have also done SVRA. Even now I would not want to race a 26R in anger. In racing their are few rules, you risk losing the car every race either due to your or someone else's bad luck or lack of skill.

Just saying...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:14 pm

I have a friend of mine with a real, verified, true 26R. Very nice car but they are now worth over 200K US$.

It is actually the twin to the Jackie Oliver car I worked on while I was in college about 1971. I think Jackie has that car back now.

So my friend built a 26R clone from Tony Thompson bits to use for Vintage Racing. I actually think it out performs the real 26R.

I have thought about doing it myself. Cost is under 80K last I checked.

I would go that route. Why risk a real 26R on the track?

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: