Can you please take me to school on painting a project

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:58 pm

And thank you!!!

It is of real interest to me. How much is the paint a litre?

Someone earlier suggested a disposable mask for use with 2 pack paints, I would err with caution on that one, the 2 packs used to be isocyanate and a carcinogen, when I was Young and stupid I sprayed them with a cartridge mask and it always made me ill, later on being more sensible I bought a Racal airlight blown fan headshiled because the advertising said that it could be used with ? pack paint, bloody dangerous as it was not a fresh air feed, it may have filtered the dust particles but did nothing for the fumes.

I had asthma as a child and outgrew it, the only times I have had attacks as an adult, and they were severe were when spraying 2 pack paint, I now use a fresh air fed respirator, i power it from a diaphragm compressor located outside of the spraybooth and well away from the fumes, despite that the last time I painted with 2 pack I had an asthma attack, I had been very carefull and the only exposure was when mixing the paint, perhaps my exposure over the years has increased my sensitivity.

I reckon I probably would be alright with a good mask when brush painting if I kept the can to one side and didnt breath above it like I did when paint mixing, the noxious vapours from brushing must be exponentially less than when spraying.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 pm

The Perfection paint comes in 750 ml cans and costs about ?40 a can. It's mostly sold through yacht chandlers. You get a can of paint with a small can of activator attached to it. You mix them 2:1 and leave it 10 - 15 minutes for bubbles to rise. You then have up to two hours usage time, depending on temperature.

You are right to be worried about the solvents. International tell you NEVER to spray it. I used a 3M mask with dust and solvent barrier filters when brushing the paint and didn't suffer any after effects.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:48 pm

A carbon and particulate filtered remote air fed mask is no doubt the safest way to spray 2k paint on a long term day to day commercial basis. ?125 - ?250 for the mask plus a clean source of filtered compressed air 4-6cfm ????s.

As a risk assessment painting the occasional panel once a year or maybe a whole car very occasionally ( last one I did was 8 years ago) I would look for a more affordable but still safe solution.

Here is the mask I mentioned, it's the only one available properly tested for use with 2k and isocyanates
http://www.alloypaints.com/gerson-2k-di ... e-72-p.asp

Wear a disposable suit with a hood wear gloves wear goggles.

Mix paint and spray paint in a well ventilated area such as an open garage, always wear the mask when mixing and spraying, do the work and leave the area still wearing the mask, go away make tea have a biscuit ( you can take the mask off now). Return to the area after 20 minutes wearing the mask, check that paint and solvent tins are sealed,you may have forgotten to do this in your excitement to get some paint sprayed, check your work it should be touch dry well within 10 minutes dependent on the temperature and whether you are using a panel heater and the solvents will have flashed off and the spray particles dissipated. If all is well, you can take the mask off and tidy up or go on to the next panel or item you want to paint.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:40 am

Mike, it looks terrific! And the neighbors won't complain about the fumes when you try to spray a car. And my wife wouldn't be made about everything in the house turning a light shade of red. Hmmmm.

Very nice
Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for the link to the mask Alan, I have saved it, it will be much more convenient than my cobbled up (not so) fresh air fed one.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 pm

The Interlux folks will tell you a filtered mask of any type is insufficient for spraying Perfection. You must use a clean, remote air source.

Perfection is what I am thinking of using for my 26R clone. I have previously brushed it on a racing sailboat. It left brush marks that took forever to sand off, as I waited about a week between application and block sanding. It cured glossy, hard, and tough.

I've sent an email to the Interlux asking if custom colors are available, as the off the shelf color range is very limited.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

The interlux folks have responded to my email saying custom colors are not available from the factory.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Color cards here:

The look to have Royal Blue for whatever that is worth.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:52 pm

International Paint Ltd have sent me the full range of colour cards 6" x 4" (next day!) and yes, Royal Blue is lovely....I think it's going to me my 1st choice.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: