Convert Rhd On Lhd

PostPost by: bs982367 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:24 pm

I did it in the past when I bought one S4SE1969 in the UK and imported it in Belgium. The job was done by myself and this took me some days.
You have to:
- fit another steering rack (I got one from one Triumph Spitfire) but I retained my genuine arms (which are shorter than the ones from the Spit)
- refitted the genuine dashboard (reverse side) but with a new wood cover plate because the opposite side is not polished nor finished
- fitted another mileage counter (in kph instead of mph)
- extention of the genuine wiring (not so easy to do !!!)
- made a "home made one" pedals assembly from an old one coming from the spit and the modification of mine
- some minor modifications (brake fluid / clutch fluid drum assembly; counter cable, ...) and new brake/clutch lines
This what I am remembering now because that mod had been made in 1973 (so a long time ago !)
If you need more details, you can contact me.

Edouard de Grand Ry
avenue Marie Th?r?se, 7
1410 Waterloo/Belgium
E mail: [email protected]
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Proper cars should be RHD - show me a LHD Bugatti, pre-war Alfa, etc. etc. Enough said.
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bs982367 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:26 pm

I totally agree with you and my next Elan will be (and remain) RHD ! Definitely and enough said ! I regret the transformation I made on my S4Se because it has lost a part of its genuine atmosfere and the fantastic cars agility allow any driver to move safely on right side driving roads as we have in Belgium.

Edouard de Grand Ry
avenue Marie Th?r?se 7
1410 Waterloo/Belgium
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: haustrup » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi there
I just want to add, that I think it was easy to convert my SE4SE to LHD.
My wiring loom was not extended - just bent over - the wires were long enough.
The pedal box was taken apart and just welded together different in a few places and the mounting for the box is already in the caras were the holes for the master cylinders.
Only major problem I see could be a KM speedo. I had one but with a wrong "ratio" inside, so why not just use the MPH one.
Regards
Steffen
Denmark
haustrup
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:55 pm

Ye who owns it owns it, and who knows, maybe the next guy or girl to own some converted Lotus will put it back the other way? Could be temporary. Not like ruining one completely by turning it into a racing car or something unfactorylike. I'm in the USA, checked the backs of my dashboards and I think my cars left the factory with LHD, what is proper for me? It's fun to communicate with people who mention Elans, Bugattis and pre war Alfas all in one sentence. This topic seems to be stirring a pot... (and I'd like to add, may God Bless all the Italians driving RHD Elans in Italy! I can not even imagine...)
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: