Recovered from the wedding!

PostPost by: elan66 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

My daughter suggested we take a picnic up to the hill overlooking Shoreham airport yesterday and we saw the jet climbing and then starting a steep descent as we approached from the other side of the hill.The next instant there was a huge plume of black/grey smoke.When we walked to the top of the hill the A27 was a scene of carnage, we stayed less than 5 minutes when the realisation of what had happened started to sink in. The report this morning was of 7 fatalaties,sadly1 young lad killed went to junior school with my daughter.We can but spare a thought for the poor victims and the grief the friends and families must be going through.Certainly puts some of my own perceived problems into perspective.The A27 is shut as far as i am aware until monday morning.
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 am

A truly tragic accident. My thoughts and condolences go to all involved.
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 am

I gave Dorian a little "thank you" present for all his work. He might have to do a little restoration........

Ray s4 fhc
Attachments
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Nice touch!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Just a brilliant thread... Congratulations.

And remember, just use Susan Miller everytime for parts.... lovely woman

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:16 am

I'm really pleased that my little tale has been a source of enjoyment for a great number of people,it has been a great experience for me,and hopefully may have inspired others to get on with it!
Like many others on this forum,I have owned the car practically from new. Unlike others,that I greatly admire,I gave up using the car after a few years,concentrating on family,career,and such trivialities! I originally bought the car because the Elan was by far the best drivers car available at the time,and couldn't even contemplate getting rid of it,so over the years it was moved from house to house,just about useable, but getting more and more in need of some serious attention.
So when the excuse of the wedding came up,I made the decision to get the work done professionally,rather than spend the next few years doing it myself.
In some ways I almost feel like a cheat for opting out and getting the work done,but the reality probably was that if I hadn't gone that route,it probably never would have been finished.
In the hurry to get everything done in the time,a few "odds and ends" had to be left,so now I can enjoy tinkering and sorting them out. Minor wiring issues,panel figment and interior trim need a little time. Nothing major,just nice little jobs!
I bought a new "old stock" fuel tank. It is in very good condition externally,just a little surface rust internally,so I'll be cleaning and sealing it before use. It also has the fuel outlet as a threaded hole at the bottom rather than the tube coming out of the top. Has anyone any thoughts or knowledge on this arrangement?

I quite agree about the lovely Susan Miller,an absolute pleasure to deal with such a charming knowledgeable person. It is also easier and quicker to phone her,rather than drive a few miles down the road to see Miles, who may or may not be there,and may or may not be in a good mood!

Ray S4fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Ray,

I've just returned from a week holidays with family in East Wittering and happened to spot what I think was your car going round the center of Chichester on Thursday. Don't think you were at the wheel though or if it was then you too had a bit of an operation!! Car looks great!!!!!
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Bruno,
I'm afraid it was not me in Chichester,and the car was safely tucked away in my garage at home,minus fuel tank as I'm doing a bit of preventative sealing of my nice new one before installation.
I spotted a Pistachio fhc just a few cars ahead of me on the Chichester bypass a couple of months ago,but we were both stuck in traffic and I didn't manage to get closer. I never did find out who that one belonged to.
Must go and get that tank finished and back in,the sun is shining and need to get on with that before gardening duties take precedence!

Ray S4fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Nice new fuel tank in and connected. Boot tidied up and looking quite good. Dipped beam and side light not working on drivers side,sorted by cleaning up connections. So far so good.
I took the car to work last night and had a nice long extended drive home at around midnight(20 miles to get 2 miles home) The headlights were surprisingly good for 40+year old sealed beam units. Went out shopping this morning and the car wouldn't turn over to fire up,so had to walk back home and pick up my battery pack.The memories all came flooding back as to why I took the car off the road originally all those years ago. I guess the battery just wasn't getting enough charge with the headlights on,so I shall have to investigate further.(and carry the battery pack at all times!)
Now that the oil has been changed and the next stage of running in is underway,I'm getting to believe that I need to give the webers a treat and send them off for an overhaul,as I really don't remember having such bad cold running and so many coughs and splutters in the old days!

Ray S4fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Absolutely the last on this thread, I promise!
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:02 am

Hi Ray,

keep them coming!

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear