Recovered from the wedding!

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:47 am

Ray,

I've really enjoyed your regular updates as the car has been transformed into the beauty that she is now.

I bet the door locking issue which resulted in you clambering over from the passenger side would have been highly amusing to witness, yet thankfully you've overcome that problem!

Now for more "shakedown" testing I guess?

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Dorian took the car back for a little further polishing, a little more bonnet adjustment and a few other little odds and ends,before packing his motorhome and family off for a well earned holiday.
I guess I am very fortunate that I can just pop the car a few yards down the road to the workshop,and walk back and do a little work whilst further fettling is being done. I am also fortunate that I can park right outside the pub, in a position where I can look at the car, and also see peoples reactions as they walk past!
I spent most of the day sorting things out for the wedding,loading David (my future son in law)'s little van with vast quantities of wine and beer, glasses and even an ice machine.

Still 3 days to go and the car is driving perfectly and looks stunning!

Now all I have to do is find time to work out my wedding speech!

Ray S4 fhc
A very happy man!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:36 am

Oldthumper wrote:
Now all I have to do is find time to work out my wedding speech!

Ray S4 fhc
A very happy man!

Ray, thanks for all the pictures and commentary. I have enjoyed following your restoration. In return, some inspiration for your speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 am

Thanks for that Andy,a true piece of comic genius. Could you just imagine if anyone really did a speech like that? Stunned silence followed by the first fights?
Great fun,thank you,a laugh is always a good start to the day!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:36 am

The time has come,so after a totally exhausting,but at the same time thrilling,few months,we are setting off over to the wedding venues,for final church rehearsal and finishing touches to the reception areas.
Briefly,the plan has been for a relatively intimate church ceremony,with arrival by Lotus of course,accompanied by two period VW campers carrying the groom in one,and bridesmaids in the other. Then a short drive to the reception (newlyweds driving off in the Lotus to get there) The reception (in a field) is intended to be like a mini festival,with a "hippy" live band,wild flower decorations,O'Hagan's sausages BBQ,naked cake,lots of beers from The Southsea Brewing Company,and a great time to be had by all!
Happy days,it has definitely been worth the effort!

Ray S4 fhc
Running and looking fantastic
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:12 am

Ray,

best of luck to the soon-to-be-weds and I hope the weather holds out for the reception.
(and best of luck to all of the old classics making the journey - both vehicular and human!)

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 am

What time are you expecting us?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:08 am

I had many suggestions for a convoy to the wedding,and much as I would love to have done it,was overruled! Something to do with me supposed to be spending time with my new family members rather than with other "Lotus fanatics"
But never mind guys,I will do the next best thing and have a beer for you all!
Now,back to that speech.........

Ray S4 fhc
Losing a daughter but gaining a brewery!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi Ray,

It's been a pleasure following your car transformation and very glad for you that it was done both on time and from the pictures very well too. Now looking forward to the big day photos starring the little (carefull not to use the B word...) yellow car. Keeping my fingers cross so the weather turn to be good on the day. Congratulations to you and the new couple!
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Fantastic, she looks a beauty, and so does the car.........

It's great that you've done it in time. I'm raising a glass of Harvey's to you as I type.

It must have been useful being on a task and being spirited away from the 'what flowers shall we get', 'does my b+m look big in this..' shenanigans.

Many happy congratulations to the newlyweds and have a great day..

PS I knew it was going to be an emotional day, even the cake was in tiers. ( I thank you, I'm here all week)
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:49 pm

A very happy and proud father!
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 am

And they all lived happily ever after!

It's been a great tale, Ray, but did you ever get your car back?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Great job! Very nice work. Looks like quite the wedding, congrats.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:16 pm

The newlyweds are now honeymooning by Lake Como, and having a great time by all accounts.
I've just changed the oil this morning, having completed the first 500 miles of running in. I was intending to pop over to Shoreham this afternoon, but the tragic news just released has put a bit of a dampener on that idea.
Hoping there have been no fatalities,but it doesn't sound too good from first reports.
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Oldthumper wrote:I was intending to pop over to Shoreham this afternoon, but the tragic news just released has put a bit of a dampener on that idea.
Hoping there have been no fatalities,but it doesn't sound too good from first reports.

I just saw the news footage from the air show accident, a dreadful thing. My thoughts go out to all affected.
Last edited by CBUEB1771 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: