Recovered from the wedding!

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Ray.

Every time I look at your car it makes me smile..It looks better every day..
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:21 am

Ray,

that's one infectious smile!

all the best with the reassembling and any subsequent "shake-down" checks!

:D

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:05 am

Dorian is getting a little worried about letting "wedding revellers" aka drunks, any where near "his" car!

Ray s4 fhc
Attachments
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 am

Ray, I`m sure neither you nor your daughter will agree, but I`m vicariously enjoying this thread so much that I don`t want you to ever finish.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Another few steps closer!
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Doors and windows nicely fitted today, bumpers sprayed, number plate assembled and loads of other little time consuming jobs. Both Dorian and Liam swore a lot when putting the locks back in! I tried to tell them it was character building,but they were having none of it. Still on line for finishing and driving away tomorrow!
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Looks Fantastc!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Coming into the finishing straight now; Oldthumper and Certified Lotus are neck-to-neck as they race to the finishing line.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:46 pm

A day spent putting everything back, and countless hours fighting with the passenger door lock. Everything else just went perfectly( apart from a little electrical meltdown, but more of that another time!)
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Good shakedown trip today, about 60 or so miles. Car ran faultlessly, but still a few problems with the door mech. I need to get some new rod clips. Just hope Miles has some.

Ray s4 fhc
And a very happy daughter!
Attachments
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Congratulations Ray! Car looks great!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Going back a little in my little tale, we spent ( well Dorian really) this morning on the final sanding and polishing, fitting the last few pieces of trim,and generally cleaning and finishing off the car. As all of you that have done it know, the door lock retaining clips are one of the most awkward, fiddly, frustrating jobs on the car. Dorian succeeded in getting it all working, but I really should have sourced new clips, as sure enough, the clips securing the drivers door lock came off, leaving the door locked and the inner handle inoperative. The passenger door opened fine luckily, but I never ever want to have to repeat the feat of getting into the drivers seat of a fhc from the passenger side! ( I am six foot tall, weigh a bit more than I should, and a few months away from retirement age) Anyway, I managed to get the door card off and get the door open, but it did rather spoil our first run out.
Other than that mishap, everything went smoothly and the car ran faultlessly and we had a great day out.
My daughter absolutely loved and was delighted with the transformation of the car, and fianc?e Dave had a chance to drive it for the first time. He was a little worried, as at 6'4" he thought getting in would be a problem, and that footwell space might be tight, but all was fine.
Hopefully I can get some new clips tomorrow, and get the damn doors operating properly.
Frustrating, but so near to being ready, and boy, does it look beautiful!
Ray s4 fhc
Now very proud and happy!
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:18 pm

First half hour today spent trying to phone F.S, but no reply, so decided to go over anyway. Sat outside waiting, checked his useless website, supposed to be open on Mondays. Gave up at 11.30, was leaving when an interesting chap turned up, looking for an elan to buy. Chatted for 10 minutes, and then Miles' "assistant" turned up. Again an interesting chat, but he had no idea where Miles might have "stored" some rod clips, and wasn't even prepared to attempt. Phoned the lovely Susan, and,of course, they are on their way to me now.
Went to see Dorian at Leewards, and miraculously a new clip materialised ( borrowed from a Vauxhall, and a perfect fit)
He had the door up and running in about ten minutes, which must surely be a record!
Still a few jobs to do. Fuel gauge lead has come off,and dipped beam drivers side has decided not to work. The brand new gear knob came off in my hand as the thread wasn't properly fixed to the ball, but luckily I still had my old original chequered flag gear knob. I wonder what Miles will say when I ask for a refund?
I will try to find out which car supplied the rod clip, as it was a perfect fit, and much better than the lotus supplied originals.
(Since found out that miles is away till Friday)

Ray S4 fhc
Happy days!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:57 pm

I think it has all been worth it!

Ray s4 fhc
Very happy
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotustastic » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Oldthumper wrote:Going back a little in my little tale, we spent ( well Dorian really) this morning on the final sanding and polishing, fitting the last few pieces of trim,and generally cleaning and finishing off the car. As all of you that have done it know, the door lock retaining clips are one of the most awkward, fiddly, frustrating jobs on the car. Dorian succeeded in getting it all working, but I really should have sourced new clips, as sure enough, the clips securing the drivers door lock came off, leaving the door locked and the inner handle inoperative. The passenger door opened fine luckily, but I never ever want to have to repeat the feat of getting into the drivers seat of a fhc from the passenger side! ( I am six foot tall, weigh a bit more than I should, and a few months away from retirement age) Anyway, I managed to get the door card off and get the door open, but it did rather spoil our first run out.
Other than that mishap, everything went smoothly and the car ran faultlessly and we had a great day out.
My daughter absolutely loved and was delighted with the transformation of the car, and fianc?e Dave had a chance to drive it for the first time. He was a little worried, as at 6'4" he thought getting in would be a problem, and that footwell space might be tight, but all was fine.
Hopefully I can get some new clips tomorrow, and get the damn doors operating properly.
Frustrating, but so near to being ready, and boy, does it look beautiful!
Ray s4 fhc
Now very proud and happy!

It's truly beautiful...and I'm sure you're proud. So impressive that you've met your deadline with time to spare and such a nice finish. We forum members have been lucky to witness two detailed elan restorations finishing rather successfully against a deadline without major issues. Sorry, I had to chuckle for a while at you having to get into the elan through the passenger side, would seem an impossible feat to me with a fixed head coupe. That has to truly be a circus act for anyone especially 6' tall. Would make a funny video perhaps something of a comic performance equivalent to John Cleese's antics with his jalopy in Fawlty Towers.. :lol:

Cheers,

Dave D.
lotustastic
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: