+2 door locks

PostPost by: DavidLB » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi All. Does anyone out there know what car the S 130 doorlocks were originally fitted to, thanks in anticipation
David
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Mgb......?
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:21 am

Hi,

Always difficult when the reference to 'lock' is asked to work out the exact part info required.

Certainly the actual lock barrel and body with the flat rotar is exactly the same as my 1970 MGB. Whilst all the other interacting parts are similar there are differences in rod lengths and the way the factory processed the assembly.

In particular the interior door handle used too on the LandRover and later Esprit on the Elan did not use the plastic frame snap finishing surrounds and the Elan just was screwed in through the back plate of the interior door handle so the assembly process was different with the interior handle itself holding the doorcard.

Not sure though of the original car that this lock part would have been used on as Wilmott Breedon were the UK's biggest lock manufacturers and like most British cars back then many components were not bespoke to the car manufacturer but common from the component supplier.

One other subtle difference can be seen on the exterior door handle casting at the front where some are slightly pointed yet the rest of the handle is exactly the same operation internally to the door lock linkages. I have seen both types fitted on our UK cars and some where one door has one of each even on Lotus cars.

The less pointed version I believe is the one correct for Lotus.

Here is a link to another useful recent thread. lotus-chassis-f36/door-latch-lock-handle-assembly-t22604.html

Regards

Steve
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 am

i am asking about the actual lock item 16 in the parts manual, not the door handles or the locking mechanism. thanks again
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RonR » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:17 am

From memory the later Elan and +2 door locks were from MGB or Austin 1800, the operating lever part may have been slightly different for the Lotus application. The Austin 1800 rear door locks were the same but sometimes they were fitted with child lock levers which stopped the door being opened from the inside. Good potential for embarrassment eh?
For completeness, early door locks were from the Austin 1100 I think.
Ron '68 +2, '92 M100
RonR
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: